Middle Grade Fiction 481
Elysian a place, a power, or a what?
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Stellarlune is book 9 of The Keeper of Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger, and 2022 is the year I read or listened to them all in anticipation of book 9. I was not disappointed in the least, and I read the whole thing this time, but I also have the audiobook for a refresher when book ten drops in 2023.
What I liked:
Out of all the Keeper books, this one is the best by far; it keeps with the age group it is meant for, has strong character development, and does not hold back on twists and turns. Sophie grows a ton over this series, just like the kids who read these series do, and in book 9, she takes the reigns and stands up for herself. She also starts to explore more about her relationship with boys, and I feel she struggles just like any middle grade does with the context of how this can affect relationships, her magic, and her place in the world's hierarchy.
She also is testing her boundaries with the adults she interacts with, in how she questions them, how she handles them, and what she reveals to them. Sophie and her ever-expanding team with various abilities are growing more robust in their powers, in how they interact with each other, and coming to grips with how all these effects their world.
Final Verdict:
Our author makes no excuses for her endless torment of the cliffhangers in this series. However, she tells us this is the pivotal part. The ending is where I have been leading you; go back and reread to see what you missed while you wait for book ten. I thoroughly enjoyed this series as an adult, and I know that it is an excellent series for the age group it is intended for. I will be waiting on the edge of my seat in 2023 for book ten.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account