Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
When I first read the description of this book, I knew I would enjoy it. After finishing, I was so surprised by how much I enjoyed it and how much the characters stuck with me.

What I liked: I love books that have a travel element as a part of the plot. I love to read about places that I haven't visited, even if it is through fictional eyes. Zona has an opportunity to take a pretty amazing adventure to meet Greek relatives she has never seen or spoken with. As nervous and reluctant as Zona was about this trip, I'm proud of her that she went through with it and embraced it. The descriptions of Athens as well as the little country villages Zona visits are vivid and very realistic. It was like I was experiencing the trip right along with Zona. I loved her extended Greek family! The characters were so full of life and made me chuckle on more than one occasion. I admit, they also made me tear up a little bit.

Family is the main focus of this book, which I found very refreshing. Zona and her father are at the front of the story and it is fun to see how their relationship works. The funny headlines they leave for each other and the way they talk in journalist lingo adds a fun component to the story. Like I mentioned above, Zona meets her Greek relatives for the first time and I loved the individual relationships she had with cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandmothers. Zona initially struggles with her feelings regarding her Greek relatives. She wants to be happy and enjoy her stay but she does feel like she would be betraying her father if she likes her family too much or if she has too much fun. There is a lot of history and deep emotions between the two sides of the family and Zona has to navigate through a lot of past anger and sadness between her relatives. I personally think she handles all of that very well.

Friendship also plays a huge part in the plot of this book. Zona leaves behind her two best friends in New York when she heads off to Greece. I enjoyed Zona learning and figuring things out from outside the bubble that she was in while in New York. She also makes new friends in Greece and finds a cute boy to crush on. I think Zona approaches and reflects on those relationships with a mentality wise beyond her years. The little bit of romance is cute but doesn't monopolize the plot.

What left me wanting more: I can't say that I was missing anything. I thought the pacing and the character development were spot on.

Final Verdict: This is the perfect book to take with you on a summer adventure of your own!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account