Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Something Strange and Deadly was a fabulous debut from Susan Dennard. This was one of those books that you can't help but to read it all in one sitting. From the first page, Susan Dennard captivated me with her gorgeous prose and bewitching story.

I loved the plot. It was enticing and really intriguing. I loved the whole science aspect of it with The Spirit Hunters - all the different inventions were SO COOL. Susan Dennard's zombies are really cool. They are different from your typical zombies, which I enjoyed as I'm not super crazy about the whole zombie thing.

The one thing that kept me from absolutely loving this one was the predictability in terms of the villain. I thought I guessed it early on, but thought, no, that is WAY too obvious. Then it turns out I did.

The characters were marvelous. I am very excited to see how their relationships develop in book 2, A Darkness Strange and Lovely. I really enjoyed Eleanor or rather "Miss Fit". She was such a strong and quirky character. I also loved the play on Eleanore's formal name of "Miss Fit" which shows how she isn't the ideal women in the Victorian era. I loved it! Daniel and Jie are two more awesome characters. I love how diverse they were. They both had such interesting stories to tell.

Fans of Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle Trilogy and Marissa Doyle's books will devour this one. It was such a joy to read. I am very excited for more from Susan Dennard in the future!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account