N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by BooksObsession

Halley and Scarlett have been best friends for years, always there for each other. So when Scarlett finds out that she's pregnant just two months after her boyfriend's death, Halley must step up to the plate and be the friend Scarlett has always been to her. Halley and her mom, a therapist, have been close best friends for life - until the summer before Junior year, when Halley begins to change. She befriends the popular, loudmouth Ginny Tabor, and starts dating irresponsible, rebel Macon, whom her parents don't approve of. As Halley starts getting in trouble at school and home, she must turn to Scarlett for support. Together, the two girls experience a school year they will never forget.

Sarah Dessen has always been one of my favorite authors because I feel like I can always relate to the characters and I like her realistic approach of writing. Plus, a cute romance seems to always be included.. ;) So I didn't hesitate to get this book for myself; even looking at the adorable cover makes me want to read it!

By the first few pages, I liked the novel already. I was able to really dig down into Halley's character and walk around in her shoes. However, unlike Dessen's other books, I couldn't actually relate to the main character. While she constantly made wrong decisions, I just wanted to scream at her and throw the book at the wall. Even by the end of the book, I don't feel like she changed that much. I think I'd like the book a lot better if I liked Halley's character more. Scarlett on the other hand, well, let's just say: I would kill to be her bestfriend. I loved her character!

The story had an overall good, realistic plot that covered many aspects in life that teenagers face at one point or the other. Such as grieving over the death of a loved one, branching out from your parents for a sense of independence, teenage pregnancy, and how to end a bad relationship.

There were, however, certain parts in the book that I got completely absorbed in. With my nose practically pushed up against the page, whenever someone tried to talk to me, I'd rudely shush them and tell them to wait until I was done with the chapter. (Yes, I can be rude when I read!)

Overall, I enjoyed the book and would probably read it again.  

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account