Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
After committing to a series, you always hope it will end in a satisfying way. Lauren DeStefano's The Chemical Garden Trilogy does just that. I was not a fan of FEVER, the second novel, but know that the second novel in a trilogy can be slow because it is building for a grand finale. I was very satisfied by how SEVER wraps everything up.

This is the most likable that any of the characters have been: Cicely has matured, Linden shows some spine, and even Vaughn is a more well-rounded character. Plus, there is almost nothing about the bizarre South Carolina carnival that dominated too much of FEVER. Rhine is not in a drug haze or ill in Sever, so she can be the strong heroine we want her to be. There are also a lot more plot twists and fun characters in this novel.

One thing didn't work for me: Gabriel. While I have always found him to be a bit of a drag, there is nothing in SEVER that would explain Rhine's devotion to him. I didn't really care if Rhine ever ended up with Gabriel, so was not invested in his storyline.

It's sad to end a series when you've enjoyed it, although I am eager to see what Lauren DeStefano comes up with next.
Good Points
Lots of plot twists
The characters are at their best
A satisfying end to the trilogy
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
May 03, 2013
I enjoyed the first two so I will go get this one soon.
1 results - showing 1 - 1