Young Adult Fiction 1622
A deeply personal tale
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
In my opinion, Seasparrow is a character-driven story rather than a plot, which can make for a less exciting story. Yes, the zilfium mines and bombs coming to the Seven Kingdoms are imperative to the plot, but Seasparrow is about Hava's journey overall. We always come back to her struggles, isolation, and pain, and then you add mixed emotions about the baby foxes that she rescues.

I admit I was expecting a more exciting sea adventure rather than the never-ending monologue of Hava struggling to figure herself out. I was very fond of Hava and found this tale unique to the Graceling series. I discovered how her trauma manifests believable and compelling - it never felt convenient, as she's often getting in her way. Hava changes her attitude within her relationships to fit her emotions. It was realistic that she had so many issues with Bitterblue because their relationship was so secretive and flawed. We will get more stories as this book feels like a filler to set us up for another story. Not my favorite but an essential tale for the development of the series.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account