Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A

Save Me A Seat by Sarah Weeks and Gita Varadarajan is must read that should be on every school library shelf. Fans of Wonder, Out of My Mind, and Fish in a Tree are sure to love reading Save Me a Seat.

This story follows two main characters over the course of a week. Ravi , who has moved to America from India. No matter what happens he stays strong and proud of his culture. Then there is Joe, who struggles with APD (Auditory Processing Disorder.) Where Ravi is outgoing, Joe is shy and the target of bullies. The two are two polar opposites but together they make the best of friends.

What I liked: Diversity. Weeks and Varadarajan really shows kids how to look past differences and find likenesses no matter how culturally different they are.

As we see the story through Ravi and Joe’s eyes we get to see how prejudices rise against people who may be different from the majority. This is an important book to read in middle school. It is a time when kids struggle to fit in and can often loose themselves trying to be someone they aren’t. Save Me a Seat is written from alternating perspectives and voices of boys in 5th grade. It addressed feelings, emotions, bullying, and learning to rise above in the often-confusing world of middle school.

Sarah Weeks and Grita Varadarajan do an incredible job making sure the characters are realistic and true to their age. They also include a good amount of humor that helps balance out some of the tough topics. It has a masterful mix of serious parts with light-hearted humor that will help the reader interested.

Final Thoughts: I definitely fell in love with this book. Save Me a Seat is a must read. It is a perfect book with a big heart reminding us to be accepting not only of others but ourselves.

Good Points
Important and timely message to young readers
Easy to read with relatable characters
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account