Salt and Sugar
(Updated: January 30, 2023)
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Lari Ramires and Pedro Molina's families have been sworn enemies. Lari's family owns the bakery Salt, while across the street is Molina's bakery Sugar. After the death of Lari's beloved grandmother, things take a turn for the worse. Rumor has it that the big supermarket in town is looking into buying out Salt. Other small family businesses have succumbed to the supermarket. But that's not all. Rumors circulate that there is more to the intergenerational rivalry between the Ramires and Molinas. Lari comes up with a plan on how to keep the bakery, but that means having the backing of Pedro. Can they both put years of intergenerational animosity behind them? But more than that can they actually trust one another?

What worked: I'm a huge fan of diverse novels, especially ones set in Latin American countries. This one has the backdrop of Brazil and is filled with delectable Brazilian pastries and foods. I'm not familiar with these foods, so I looked them up. The fudgy chocolate goodness of brigadeiro had my mouth water! So many other yummy treats mentioned throughout.

Lari and Pedro's relationship at first is as rivals and then turns into something much more. I liked how the author shows both characters growing when they work together in a cooking club run by Pedro. This club is one that Lari has to attend in order to give her fellow classmates the option of extra credit. Lari's true passion to be a cook is revealed. She's had to hold back as her mother refuses to have her cook with the belief that Lari's only way to success is to go to college and major in economics. This is to fulfill the dream of her now-deceased father. Only that's not what Lari wants.

Little by little Lari and Pedro put aside their differences in order to try to save their bakeries. Predatory pricing is shown in how a huge supermarket chain buys up small businesses to stop competition. Those who are harmed are those small businesses like Salt and Sugar.

This story is much more than delicious Brazilian pastries but one of two teens who are determined to break the family intergenerational rivalry in order to save the bakeries and community they love so much. There are family secrets revealed, a bubbling romance, and learning to trust.

Heartwarming contemporary tale set in Brazil with luscious descriptions of local foods. This isn't a Romeo and Juliet story, but rather one of hope and courage to go after your own dreams.
Good Points
1. Engaging, fun contemporary tale of enemies turned more than friends
2. Set between two rival bakeries with delicious shout-outs to Brazilian foods
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account