Young Adult Fiction 1252
Purpose and Belonging
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
‘Room and Board’ by Miriam Parker contains a nice mixture of the past and the present. When Gillian moves from New York to California after a scandal rocks her publicity career, she finds herself back on her old stomping grounds. Becoming a dorm mother at her former prep school was never something she envisioned herself doing, but with her plummeting career, someone reaching out to offer the position seemed like something she couldn’t pass up. Being back on campus brings back lots of memories—both happy and painful. Those two feelings come to a head when she once again comes upon her high school crush and her former high school roommate’s boyfriend, Aiden. When she finds herself crossing paths with him again, and back at the high school no less, she can’t help but feel the butterflies of her past longing for him coupled with her deep desire to avoid the trouble that liking him caused her in the first place.

Warm as well as bitter memories of Gillian’s young adulthood are peppered throughout the pages of the novel. All the while, she finds herself connecting with a new batch of young people who walk the halls of her former dormitory. While they seem conceited and spoiled on the outside, she finds there is depth to each of them and enjoys learning about their lives, their hopes, and their thoughts about the future.

Gillian finds new friends while she hesitates to take on the role of publicist for the campus when a variety of issues, and even scandals, arise. Yet, she fall right back into her groove of working with people and finding ways to engage with the community.

Despite Gillian being in her late thirties when the novel begins, there is still a sense of coming of age for her as she finds herself and her purpose in a familiar place, though at a different time in her life. She realizes things about herself, and about others, that allow her to feel a sense of belonging that she never truly felt in her past.
Good Points
Despite Gillian being in her late thirties when the novel begins, there is still a sense of coming of age for her as she finds herself and her purpose in a familiar place, though at a different time in her life. She realizes things about herself, and about others, that allow her to feel a sense of belonging that she never truly felt in her past.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
October 12, 2022
ARE YOU IN NEED OF HELP TO SOLVE YOUR INFERTILITY PROBLEM OR GET PREGNANT? contact Dr. LUCAS Miracle Center on this email ([email protected]) I'm Wright Eva from the USA, I have been trying to get pregnant for 6 years and I needed help! I have been to different hospitals and Doctors. The doctors always say that my husband and I are fine and I don't know where else to turn. Until one day an old friend introduced me to this great spell caster who helped her to get her lost husband back with a love spell and also made her pregnant, So I decided to contact this spell caster Dr. Lucas on his email ([email protected]) after interaction with him he instructed me on what to do, after then i should have sex with the my husband or any man I love in this world, And i did so, within the next one months i went for a check up and my doctor confirmed that i am 2 weeks pregnant with two babies. I am so happy!! If you also need help to get pregnant or need your ex back then contact his email address:  [email protected]  Or  through his Website: https://miraculouscentre.wixsite.com/my-site-1 You can also message Him through his private What's App Number +15302120104. My Blog: https://righteva05.blogspot.com  Facebook Page  https://web.facebook.com/miraculouscentre
R
righteva05
1 results - showing 1 - 1