Young Adult Fiction 912
Rise of the Vicious Princess Review
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I honestly do not know how to review this book because I don't know how to accurately explain how much I love it.

I have been a fan of C. J. for years now, and she continues to amaze me. Rise of the Vicious Princess might just be my new favorite of hers.

This story is full of political intrigue, incredible world building, and fantastic character development. Charis is the heir to a kingdom struggling against another. They've been at war for her entire life, but the attacks are getting worse. Not only that, but she's been taught from an early age that she needs to be fierce and not trust anyone. With several attempts on her life, she has no reason to doubt that lesson.

Until Tal comes into the picture. After a failed assassination attempt on the queen, Tal is assigned as Charis's personal bodyguard. She, of course, argues this because she knows how to protect herself, but it's her ailing father's wish, so she reluctantly agrees while keeping him at arm's reach. At least, that's the plan. The problem is, they start becoming friends, and she starts questioning whether she actually needs to face the world alone or if she can let people in.

I loved seeing Charis grow. Not only did she slowly start trusting Tal and enjoying his company, but she started seeing that her two cousins were genuine friends as well. She begins to realize that it might be better to face all these struggles with people supporting her. The relationship between her and Tal felt so real and natural, and there was so much tension in this slow-burn romance. I adored it!

The writing was great, as expected. C. J. has such a skill for sucking me into a book and keeping me there. She's truly a master storyteller, and I just want to stay in her magical worlds forever.

At this point, Rise of the Vicious Princess is my favorite book of 2022 so far. It is full of action, secrets, romance, betrayal, and fantastic characters. This is absolutely one I will re-read in the future. I cannot wait for the next book!
Good Points
- Incredible world building and storytelling
- Great character development
- Political intrigue and plenty of action
- Slow-burn romance
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account