Young Adult Fiction 912
Heart-Stopping YA Fantasy
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Unputdownable! Rise of the Vicious Princess by C.J. Redwine is the first book in a new YA political fantasy duology. Calera has been at war with its neighboring kingdom Montevallo for 19 years. As a result, the kingdom is reaching the end of its coffers, it’s citizens are losing faith in their monarch, and both sides are desperate to find an end. When an assassination attempt inside the palace leaves the queen near death, Princess Charis Willowthorn steps into the role she was born to play. With enemies at every turn and unsure of the few friends she has, Charis must chart her own path and find a way to suss out the spy within the palace.

I love Charis. I wasn’t sure at first. She is fierce, loyal, stubborn, and exactly what a princess and ruler should be. She puts her citizens’ needs first and hers last. Charis proves over and over again that she will do whatever is necessary to protect her kingdom, even sacrificing her own dreams and self. I was impressed with her singular focus, however it also made me sad. She was raised to be ruthless, and she is, but she also has a large heart that she hides behind the an armor of rage. She pulls on her anger for strength to face whatever is needed of her. Few see her for who she truly is.

Then enters Tal. Tal is her father’s personal guard, but after the failed assassination attempt on the queen and an assassin is found in the princess’s own chambers, Tal is sent to protect Charis. He is quiet, but his presence is calming for Charis. He is a solid reassurance that she is safe, or as safe as she can be with assassins trying to get her. I love Tal. He is simply an amazing character. There is so much we don’t know about him, but what little we do is easy to love.

As much as I love Tal and Charis, the world-building is phenomenal. I was fully immersed in Calera, their war, and all the political clashes that come with it. I became quite attached, forming my own (strong) opinions on certain members of the council and wishing I could advise Charis myself. The foreshadowing is superb. There are enough hints that if you pick up on them you will know what is coming which is dramatic irony at its finest.

Overall, I loved Rise of the Vicious Princess. I intended to read it slowly, savor it, knowing it will most likely be at least a year before I get the conclusion, but I couldn’t I read it in almost one sitting, unable to turn the pages fast enough. Charis is a fantastic character, the romance is slowly built and a perfect balance of steamy and sweet, and the plot is heart-stoppingly fast paced. If you are a fan of YA fantasy, then this is a must read.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account