Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
First things first: THE COVER CHANGE!! why do authors change the cover in the very last book of a series? WHY? It makes me not want to display the books on my shelves and that makes me feel guilty about the books feeling left out. Gaaaaah!

Lauren Oliver really redeemed herself in this book; it was full of action for the most part and I felt like the story progressed really well. As always, the defining quality of this book was how gripping it is.

What I liked:

- Lena being called out on her mistakes and faults; I think Lena’s worst quality is that she can be whiny and childish a lot of the time. I don’t mean to say immature because I don’t think that, I just think she has a problem with overreacting and behaving childishly in some situations.

-I mentioned in my Delirium review that a huge chunk of these books seems to have been “inspired” by The Uglies trilogy by Scott Westerfeld and while that continues to be true I liked that she veered off from what I expected in a key point in the story. I was really expecting Julian to end like a certain character in the Uglies books “Zane” and it was a pleasant surprise when it didn’t.

-Hana eventually turned up SOMEWHERE in this story, which leads me to my main objection about this book:

What I hated:

- That Hana was only now being mentioned. I felt like I had spent the entire second book wondering where Hana was and by the end of Pandemonium, I was sorta over her. I had accepted that she’s just not part of the picture anymore. Then exactly half of the third and final book is told from Hana’s perspective which I didn’t need. I felt like she was being introduced back at a time when there were other more important things to worry about and that bugged me.

-The ending: not the actual ending but the writing itself. There are a couple of paragraphs at the very bottom of the last page written in a voice that didn’t feel like Lena’s. It felt like the author was talking directly to me and it shattered some of the atmosphere, certainly broke the spell of fiction.

I could have done without the bottom half of that page.

Overall impression: I liked it quite a bit, actually. It was interesting and it made me read all the way to the end and that’s more than enough for me.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account