Writing Style

N/A
Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I received an e-copy from the publishers at NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I was intrigued by how dark and spooky the cover portrayed the book to be. It seemed like it would be more horror than anything else. The premise even gave the same impression. I had am always a fan of reading debut novels for new authors and seeing how their skill grows throughout their various books afterwards.

Reid's debut book opens on a very troubled girl. She has lost her boyfriend of three years to the school slut, as well as her arch-nemesis, and she is struggling with hallucinations and voices speaking within her head. She doesn't know how to deal and she slowly loses all the people who she could once trust. As part of the social dynamic of most high school dramas, as soon as the popular boy dumps someone that person loses their social standing. Quinn, attempts to find peace in her chaotic life, but her only saving grace is Aaron.

Aaron is inexplicably drawn to Quinn and has no clue why. Sure, Quinn is cute and sweet, but his obsession with protecting her and loving her borders on obsessive. When Quinn faints in the hallway of their school, Aaron is there to catch her and makes it his mission from that point on to find a way to be with Quinn.

Aaron and Quinn's relationship is a constant rollercoaster. They are constantly doubting each other's loyalty as well as whether they should in fact be together. They attempt to get over their instant love for each other by distracting themselves with other people. This, of course, poses more and more drama for Aaron who can't remember his life before his accident and for Quinn who is struggling with dark, supernatural forces.

This book was not for me. Aaron and Quinn's romance was incredibly frustrating. They were avoiding each other, loving each other, then trying to hurt each other at every turn of the page. I just couldn't handle it. Not to mention, the big baddies that Quinn had to deal with were a steady steam of the same thing. Making Quinn feel worse and worse about herself until it comes to a shaky and completely unnecessary ending. I think for a first go, Reid has a lot of ways she could improve. Props for the effort and with this being a serial book, she has the next book to tweak and fix some of the flaws in this book. I have faith. I will definitely give the second book a go if and when it is published.

Pretty Dark Nothing is an interesting twist on all the angel books out there in today's age. Where most books focus on the beauty and majesty of angels, Pretty Dark Nothing draws upon the darker side of the romanticized creatures.

Review Posted on: http://www.ladybugliterature.blogspot.com
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account