Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
The first half of the story was laugh-out-loud, smile-at-that-cuteness light, and fun. The author easily introduces us to a town filled with designer clothes, jewelry, expensive cars, and rich, rich people. At first, Willa’s entranced by the life of the rich and famous – kind of like a deer in headlights. But once she starts settling in, she begins to see the other not-so-pleasant things, mainly the bullying of the scholarship kids.

And from there, the story went downhill for me. This story was supposed to be a loose Robin Hood retelling. So what’s Willa’s solution to the bullying problems? Steal money from the rich kids (mainly the girls she hangs out with/her so called ‘friends’) and buy designer clothes to give to the bullied girls.

The idea alone is headdesk-worthy. People kill themselves because of problems like this; because of bullying. Every year, people die because of these problems, and it isn’t something superficially. What Willa’s doing is basically slinging a few cute designer outfits at the problem. But it isn’t going to help. Just because their target looks prettier doesn’t mean they’re no longer a target of bullying. Does Willa honestly thing what she’s doing is going to solve anything? It makes me wonder if the author still remembers what it was like in high school. Because this? It isn’t it.

And what’s up with Aidan? He’s so blegh and meh. He’s snobbish, arrogant to the point in which you just feel like throwing something at him, practically radiates the fact that he’s Mr. Player, and yet I feel as if he as as much charm as a dead fish: none. None. At. All.

Like I said earlier, the first half of Pretty Crooked was cute, fun, and light. The last half… not so much. I wouldn’t agree with the Robin Hood comparisons. If any, this story seems to mock Robin Hood rather than retell it.

But I think I’ll give Pretty Sly (Pretty Crooked #2) a try. It isn’t really the writing that has problems, but rather the plot. Ludwig’s writing is fun and quirky, and I’m willing to give her another shot.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account