N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by Rowan

Peeps presents vampire in a modern, scientific perspective; parasites are the cause of vampirism, a contagious disease. In the even-numbered chapters, Westerfeld presents interesting parasitic facts; obviously, this novel was well-researched and carefully planned out.

Parasite-positives (peeps for short) are defined as out-of-control, infected, cannibalistic vampires who cannot stand the sight of anything that was once part of their past (also known as an anathema). Cal Thompson, a Peep carrier, is fortunate because Peep carriers do not exhibit all characteristics of a full-blown Peep; however, they can pass down the trait (through sexual contact), and they do have superpowers. With the powers gained from this disease, Cal is suitable to be a Peep hunter for the Nightwatch, an organization designed to keep Peeps under control. While trying to track down Morgan, the woman who gave him the parasite, Cal meets Lacey, who becomes his love interest as the story progresses. Cal soon learns that there is something bigger out there lurking in the underground tunnels of New York, and it is up to him and the other Peeps to stop it.

Not only was this an educational book, it was an innovative one. Thanks to Westerfeld, vampires actually make sense in the real world. It was an interesting read, and I was able to read it within a day.

This would have been one of my favorite books, if it weren't for the disappointing ending. Scott Westerfeld needs to work on his endings; they need to be more dynamic. Even though I felt that he was trying to leave room for a sequel, the ending didn't feel complete to me.

(Note: Reposted from booked-books.blogspot.com)
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account