Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
The premise sounded really interesting. I love science fiction so I was a bit excited! But it didn't really turn out to be what I thought it was going to be. I kept zoning out while reading and didn't really care that much about the characters. It moved really quickly. I feel that if it was a bit longer, it could have become so much more layered. And in addition, it kind of felt like two different stories instead of one.

The planet was wonderfully imagined. In fact, the imagery used throughout the whole novel is excellent. But once we leave the planet and we start to learn all the secrets is when it went downhill for me. I kind of felt like the author was trying to cram as much science as she could into the science fiction. And while that's not really a bad thing, I mean the word "science" is in the name, but it kind of seemed to be solution to everything. The ending didn't really do it for me either. It was a little too open ended and then we get some random explanation at the end.

And the worm. I understand the purpose of the worm, but... I don't know. It's a giant worm. Seriously. All I could think of was the alaskan bull worm from Spongebob.

In the end, I was kind of disappointed. The characters were kind of meh and the story was okay. It feels to me that the author was trying to get some deep underlying message that would have worked better if it wasn't in a sci-fi setting. However, this would make a terrific movie; I think it reads more like a screenplay any way.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account