Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
This book is told in the perspectives of two people: Galen, a Syrena (merman), and Emma, who is not exactly sure what she is.

Emma and her friend Chloe are vacationing in Florida when she literally bumps into a guy with violet eyes, the only other person she has ever seen with them, other than herself. As soon as Galen (the Syrena prince) sees her eyes, he knows that she is special. And when he sees her singlehandedly fend off a bull shark, he knows that she's not what she seems. Perhaps not even human. After all, Syrena can appear human as well. But all this is new for Emma, who think she is completely human. She also doesn't understand why Galen suddenly turns up at her school and pays so much attention to her. As they fight a growing attraction for each other, they need to try and find out the truth behind Emma's heritage. And while Galen can't have her for himself, her Gift could save the kingdom.

I thought this book was very light-hearted and funny. Now, this may not seem the case as you first start reading it, especially when it starts with the bloody death of a girl, but after that, there are regular doses of funniness and romance.

The characters are also funny and quirky, and very readable. Emma is funny, chatty, clumsy, but in an endearing way. Galen is very naive, and I think it is funny the way he gets so surprised by things we consider normal, and how much he obviously loves Emma even though she can't see it. And the supportive characters get enough attention and depth that they're not so much in the background.

The mystery of Emma's Syrena heritage is the driving force throughout the book (don't call them mermaids, especially the guys), but its also a lot about the romance between Emma and Galen. It's not obsessive romance everyone, in fact, Emma is trying her best not to be attracted to Galen. And the romance is fun. They bicker, and needle each other, and go on dates to the freaking TITANIC for god's sake.

Banks definitely doesn't pass up this opportunity to give jabs about overfishing and environmental negligence, but she never comes across as preachy,

And that da-da-da-DAH ending (that's suspense music, in case you didn't pick it up), and have just found out that there is going to be a sequel called Of Triton, published by the end of May! I can't wait to read it!

I definitely recommend Of Poseidon to people who want something that is a bit lighthearted, but not lacking in depth. Be prepared, this book will have you begging for more. :)
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account