Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I had heard marvelous things about the Lux series for some time now and had yet to allow myself to delve into their world. I was worried I would get too thoroughly enthralled in their world and would find myself unable to function normally, as some really good book series do. It turns out that I was right to be worried. “Obsidian” was, by far, one of the best books I have read this year.

Katy is a short, book blogger with a feisty attitude. Hmm, this sounds a little autobiographical. That being said, I connected instantly with Katy. She seemed to be the type of selfless heroine that was perfect for the story. She is a devoted friend and a morally upstanding representation of the human race. It is no wonder that our male protagonist would be curious about her. She came to West Virginia because her mother needed a change after the loss of Katy’s father. Katy herself was still wounded after her father’s passing, much as anyone would be. This painful back story may have been what caused Katy to be such a fighter in “Obsidian”. She was a delight to read.

Daemon was hard to like. Exactly how Katy felt about him was how I seemed to feel about him (seems I got sucked in so epically that I started feeling I was Katy). Sometimes I wanted to strangle him and other times he made me swoon. I only started to understand Daemon and the way he acted after I read some of the bonus material at the end of the book. Daemon is a very complex and brooding character. He is the direct opposite of Katy.

I have never been fond of books that show characters who instantly fall in love and start with the mushy talk early on in their relationships. Daemon and Katy’s relationship was fun to watch since it was a love-hate relationship from start to finish.

This book reminded me of the Roswell series that was on TV some time ago. I loved that show. “Obsidian” echoes Roswell in all the best ways. Running from an evil bent on destroying the good aliens and the humans they interact with, fighting developing emotions because interspecies dating is weird, and navigating teenage hormones and the social aspects of that age is what “Obsidian” is all about. I cannot wait to sink my teeth into “Onyx” and follow Katy and Daemon’s story as they attempt to overcome their insurmountable obstacles.

Review Posted on: http://www.ladybugliterature.blogspot.com
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account