Review Detail

4.7 15
Young Adult Fiction 392
What do you get when you cross Magic and Wolves?
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Ren was a refreshing male character. He's not perfect (which to me makes him even more likable) and he has deep feelings for Calla. They both can relate to each other because of their alpha status in their pack of teenage wolves. Which brings me to my second favorite part of the book. I loved all the young Guardians. They're kids sure, but we get to see their youth blossom through future relationship while tackling hard issues like taking orders from the Keepers. My favorite sub-character was Fey. She's a brazen fighter from the Nightshade side who is not afraid to speak her mind.

Calla was also a great protagonist. I could feel her struggles being an alpha female and her disconnect with the prospect of being in an arranged marriage. She was a strong female authority figure to all her packmates and I loved that about her. What I was ambivalent about was her relationship with Shay, the human boy she saves at the very beginning of the book. There was something missing in Shay for me. He's a strong character for being a human among wolves, but when he was sarcastic or witty I didn't much get it. And I felt like he made Calla weak and dishonest, bringing out some bad qualities in her. Their relationship was also very much insta-love, not my favorite thing in the world.

So if you haven't guessed, I'm on Team Ren!

I'm excited to learn more about the world Cremer has created. She has infused magic with werewolves, which is a creative take on the mythology. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series and hope to see more of Ren!

I'd recommend this book to anyone who loves wolves, great sub-characters, and love triangles!
Good Points
Original for Werewolf Mythology
Fast Paced
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account