A Queer Howl's Moving Castle
(Updated: September 09, 2022)
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Magic? A diverse set of characters? Queer? And a comparison to Howl's Moving Castle? Sign me up!

Night Shine by Tessa Gratton is a YA sapphic fantasy novel that follows the secret life of an orphan girl named Nothing. Only her life no longer becomes quite so secret when her best friend, Prince Kirin, is kidnapped. Like most YA fantasy novels, Nothing and the Prince's bodyguard are the only ones able to find and rescue him. Throw in the addition of tons of demons and an evil Sorceress who is solely known as "The Sorceress that Eats Girls" you have Gratton's Night Shine.

At first, I was skeptical of how much I would like Gratton's work, given it was compared to Howl's Moving Castle, one of my favorite works of all time. She easily delivered. Gratton has a way of writing peril and action with a poised hand. All while building suspense and mystery. And we can't exactly leave out her wonderous skill at writing romance, even though it was a bit predictable at times.

In all honesty, I can see plenty of routes Gratton can take to continue this story. Who I hope involves Nothing and her swoon-worthy romance. Not to mention the many delicious one liners Gratton throws into her work. (I'm looking at you: "I would destroy a thousand hearts to find you, again and again.")

I will forever look forward to reading Tessa Gratton's works. Especially anything that will take me back to Nothing's many adventures.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account