Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
“That’s the thing about Dale. You are what you are, what everyone thinks you are. Forever.”

This book, hands down, absolutely represents what it is like to be from a small town. (Especially a small town in the South).

And that’s why I related to this book so much. I know what it’s like to be stuck in a town and feel like you will never leave. Growing up in a town that both shaped who you are and traps you into thinking you need to stay.

It’s why I kept reading. Just to see if Lulu makes it out.

My Best Everything is a book that takes some time to get going. But once it gets going, it’s hard to put down.

Lulu, in an attempt to raise money for college tuition (has this girl never heard of FAFSA!?!), plans to make and sell moonshine. (I can’t help but wonder how people would have taken this book if she was growing marijuana).

And that premise hooked me, along with the Sarah Dessen like cover and country setting. I was eager to see what My Best Everything had in store.

The writing style is a letter. Lulu’s letter to Mason after everything happens. It’s a retelling of events, and it was probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to get used to while reading. But if you can get the flow of it, the writing is beautiful. I marked many quotes that spoke to me and a few things that made me laugh.

“Buzz cuts remind me of the darkest corners of Dale. The rickety old shacks down by the river. The places where cousins get shot in the living room for eating the last Oreo…”

YA’LL, I work in one of those small towns (I still haven’t left, you see). More importantly, I work for the sheriff’s office. STUFF LIKE THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENS! And yes, 9 times out of 10, someone is sporting a Buzz cut.

I loved the relationship between all the characters. (Once again, I was reminded of a Sarah Dessen novel. Which isn’t a bad thing considering that she is my favorite). They made me laugh and cry. They actually go through will life problems. Real decisions. Real outcomes. (I did not like her father. He was a jerk).

My Best Everything is going to take some patience. But if you want a cute story with a new and interesting premise, you’ll be happy you stuck around.

For fans of Sarah Dessen, obviously!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account