picture book about misunderstandings, family, and optimism
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

MINA is an overall light-hearted read about a young mouse and her father. Mina loves her father, but she does not understand why he collects the things he does. She can live with most of it, but then he brings home a "squirrel" which is actually a cat. Although Mina is very wary, her father is not at all worried and reminds her of the stick insects he brought home that she taught to read - before they stole all her books. The squirrel is not eating, and her father goes out and finds 2 more, calling the doctor for help. The doctor tells him that they are cats, and the cats begin to chase them. The mice are saved by a stick insect who comes and reads a story until the cats fall asleep.

What I loved: There is plenty to giggle about in this story, including some of the things Mina's father collects such as the antique art (stamps) he collects - as well as the "squirrels" that are obviously cats. Children will find humor in these missteps as well as the way they are saved by a stick insect reading the cats to sleep. The text on each page is short and focused on the illustrations that are full of details and a vintage look.

There are some intriguing themes around trust, misunderstandings, optimism/pessimism, and family. The book is easy to read with large, clear fonts over white panels.

What left me wanting more: I was a bit troubled by the way that Mina's father puts her in danger and does not listen to her at all. This lack of support does not send a great message, but it does add to the humor of the story.

Final verdict: Overall, MINA is a story that will entertain young readers and work best for elementary school aged readers.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account