Young Adult Fiction 751
A Read for the End of the World
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
A big thanks to YA Book Central for providing an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

I thought I was done with the dystopian side of YA, but this book proves that I might need to read a little more of that genre. As long as it features queer characters, and a light-hearted tone despite everything going possibly wrong.

Milo and Marcos at the End of the World by Kevin Christopher Snipes is a YA queer dystopian novel that follows the much anxious lives of Milo and Marcos. As they try to deny their feelings for the other, while facing the fact that the very world they inhabit is ending. No big deal, right?

Going into this book, I was hesitant about the whole end of the world part, as I had been staying away from dystopian books (as we're practically living through one now). Yet this book changed the genre for me. I absolutely loved how the author was able to create a great juxtaposition between the "End of the World" plot and the love story of Milo and Marcos. Snipes expertly wove something doom and gloom with lighthearted and fun. Which I've seen other authors attempt and ultimately fail at.

Overall, I think I would have wanted a little more on the whole 'end of the world' bit. At times, it felt a bit lacking. In the sense that I didn't quite understand what was going on. Or why it was all happening. Even though the cuteness of Milo and Marcos kind of helped gloss over that.

In the end, I really enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. Some parts I didn't quite like, while others I absolutely loved. If you're in the mood for something queer and feel like falling into a fictious 'end of the world' scenario, give this book a try.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account