Review Detail

Fun for the whole family
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Learning Value

What I Liked: I have been a huge Mad libs fan as a teacher because they are a fantastic way to practice grammar without students grumbling. Now with my own children, they make travel much easier as we all take turns being the writer and the word contributor and cracking up at the silly stories we create together. It provides excellent grammar reinforcement as children recall what is a noun, verb, adjective, Proper noun, plural noun, etc., as they work to fill in the blanks for a story they haven’t read. For reluctant readers, it provides wonderfully funny stories that they don’t mind reading aloud once they have filled in the blanks. It also has the added bonus of providing spelling practice for the person taking a turn recording the answers. It doesn’t take kids long to understand the story is always a bit funny if you sprinkle in a few potty humor words. However, a bit of advice is not to allow actual names to be used in the story. It seems to cause hard feelings when someone ends up being called stinky when the story is read.
What Left Me Wanting More: The Mother’s Day-themed mad libs have all the ingredients that make the Mad Libs activity books so wonderful. I did feel like a few of the stories were cute but not as ridiculously funny as some of the other themes I have done in the past.
Final Verdict: This Mad lib book is sure to provide hours of entertainment whether in a classroom or during family time and travel. It is a fun way to practice spelling, grammar, and reading for the mid-elementary age child in your life. It is also just plain fun for older children/adults as well as they remember the awesome mom figures in their lives.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account

Latest Additions