Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Liesl and Po took me a little while to get into, but once I did I couldn't put it down. This book just has that magical feel to it. You know when you smell a certain smell how it takes you right back to a certain place or situation? This book was similar to that...it brought me back to my childhood sitting in my top bunk, reading well into the night.

The tone of the narrator is perfect! There is a hint of mischief to the tone that adds depth to the story. The characters are so easy to love, or in a few cases hate! Liesl is the perfect heroine! She has received the short stick in life, but she doesn't whine about it. Will doesn't have it much better than Liesl, but he manages to make the best of it. Po and Bundle add such a playful supernatural element to the story, and Liesl could have never made it with out them! Mo, however, was my favorite character. He is a simple man with a huge heart! On the other hand, the villains are so fun to hate! You of course have the evil stepmother, the power hungry alchemist, and the greedy and powerful "Lady Premiere". Lauren Oliver rolls together a fantastic puzzle of mistakes, consequences, coincidences, and magic. The illustrations are fantastic, and definitely add to the story! This is a magical story about love, friendship, and kindness that young and old can enjoy together. This story would make a great read aloud for younger children!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account