Review Detail

inspiring and beautiful board book about female athletes
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Learning Value

WOMEN IN SPORTS is a fantastic and inspiring board book about female athletes. The book begins and ends with powerful messages about what women and girls can achieve. Each page then features a woman who did great things in their sport or sports. The breadth of sports included is really impressive, encompassing not only tennis, basketball, and gymnastics, but also mushing and roller derby among others. The book also includes a brief timeline of women's sports.

What I loved: The illustrations are stunning, artistic, full of color, and with words woven into the images. I also appreciated the breadth of women and sports included. There were many that I had not heard of, but also several that many of us will recognize like Simone Biles and Serena Williams. The many fantastic athletes are sure to inspire young girls and their caregivers to show that women can really do anything! I found the timeline surprising in how short it is with FIFA creating the first women's soccer world cup in only 1991 and the WNBA established in only 1996, but the future is open! There is plenty to learn and inspire in this beautifully illustrated book.

Final verdict: With stunning illustrations, many female athletes, and well-chosen text, WOMEN IN SPORTS is an inspiring board book that I highly recommend for girls and women of all ages.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account