Review Detail

Kids Nonfiction 230
great artistic guide
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Learning Value

COLORS OF HABITATS is a beautifully illustrated oversized book of inspiration for artists. The book walks through different habitats from the artic to coral reefs to deserts. Each page spread gives a short poem about the habitat and features illustrations of different animals who live in each habitat with some background and a list of colors that are used in painting that habitat.

What I loved: This book would be fantastic inspiration for budding artists, with so many animals and beautiful illustrations. The diversity of habitats is great with lots to view and think about. For young painters, this would be a great guide to recreating the world around them. I appreciated that the animals are all labeled so that children can search for those they are particularly interested in, and the labeled colors at the top add to the fun and make a start towards creating a palette for each habitat. The poems on each page spread are cute.

What left me wanting more: It would be great to have partnered these gorgeous illustrations with more facts and information about each habitat so that it could have a broader audience, but it still makes a great tool for artists and coffee table style book. The font chosen is also a bit hard to read in places (it is the cursive used for "colors" on the cover), which is really curly with flourishes.

Final verdict: A gorgeously illustrated artistic guide, COLORS OF HABITATS features a diversity of habitats along with animals in each and key colors to use when creating artwork. Would recommend to budding artists looking for inspiration.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account