Review Detail

Kids Nonfiction 341
delightful and educational picture book about sharks
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Learning Value

I AM THE SHARK is a fun and educational picture book about self-confidence. A great white shark is introducing the reader to himself, but he is soon to learn that he is not the biggest, smallest, fastest, or other superlative shark. Through conversations with other sharks, who hold those superlatives, and pages with additional facts, children get to learn about sharks and laugh while doing it.

What I loved: The cartoonish images and silly conversations make for a delightful read. Facts are worked in through the text in a way that did not feel like nonfiction but manages to teach a lot about different sharks. The ultimate message of the story is about self-confidence - it's tough to be the best, as the great white shark learns, but that doesn't mean that he's not great at things. This additional lesson on top of the shark facts makes for a really fun story that children will enjoy in and out of the classroom.

I would recommend this book for elementary school aged readers so they will get the jokes and appreciate the denser learning pages with facts. The font is printed clearly and is easy to read, and the colorful illustrations make this one that is sure to be a hit. For sensitive readers, the shark does decide to chase down a snack (fish) although this is also cartoonish in depiction.

Final verdict: I AM THE SHARK is a delightful and educational book about sharks and self-confidence. This would be great in a classroom lesson about sharks, for shark enthusiasts, or just for fun at home.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account