Review Detail

Kids Nonfiction 137
fun lift-the-flap exploration of careers
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)  

Learning Value 

WHEN I GROW UP, I WANT TO BE is a fun flap-filled board book that shows a few high-profile careers. The book includes astronauts, teachers, athletes, firefighters, and doctors. The flaps are really fun, as on each page spread, there is a primary flap on the left side that shows each person in casual clothes and then career uniforms when you turn it. The ride side shows them at their job with several flaps to lift and see more information. The illustrations are colorful and full of fun details that make this a engaging exploration, particularly for toddlers who enjoy lifting flaps!

What I loved: The flaps on this book really shine with lots of fun details and things to turn over. This book is definitely more interactive with the focus on the illustrations and flaps. The careers chosen are high-profile and ones that children will already be admiring. I also loved the diversity of the people in the book with many different skin tones shown, and that the astronaut is a woman and the teacher a man. These small details add nicely to the book.

What left me wanting more: As a small point, the book is very light on text with some flaps not having any corresponding text. This would work great for toddlers to flip through on their own, but does not have the deeper information on each career I was hoping for.

Final verdict: Overall, this is a fun lift-the-flap early exploration of careers. Children will enjoy the great illustrations, many flaps, and light on text nature of this early board book.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Curse of Roses

0.0 (0)
Based on Portuguese legend, this #OwnVoices historical fantasy is an...
I Don't Want to Wash my Hands!

0.0 (0)
From beloved children's author and illustrator Tony Ross, comes a...
Dance Like a Leaf

0.0 (0)
As her grandmother's health declines, a young girl begins to...
The Bitterwine Oath

3.3 (2)

0.0 (0)
San Solano, Texas, is a quaint town known for...
Sing Like No One's Listening

0.0 (0)
A moving YA debut about a talented young singer...
Heiress Apparently (Daughters of the Dynasty, #1)

0.0 (0)
The first book in an epic and romantic YA...
The Good Girls

0.0 (0)
One of Us Is Lying meets Sadie in this...
Frozen 2: Dangerous Secrets: The Story of Iduna and Agnarr

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Iduna harbors a dark secret. On the surface,...
The Camelot Betrayal

0.0 (0)
The second book in a new fantasy trilogy from...

0.0 (0)
Every summer, they say goodbye. Dorit goes to Tel Aviv...
Incredible Animals

0.0 (0)
In this illustrated guide, discover fascinating and unusual information about...
Special Delivery

0.0 (0)
A lovely book to share with children in an expecting...
Eyelike Stickers: Trains

0.0 (0)
Hundreds of irresistible, reusable, and collectible stickers to mix, match,...

0.0 (0)
It is twenty years since the events of La Belle...
Winter Light

0.0 (0)
WINTER LIGHT is the story of 15-year-old Mary Donahue...

0.0 (0)
Fight like a magical girl in this paperback original contemporary...

Latest Member Reviews

Torn Sky (Rebel Wing #3)

"MY THOUGHTS I'll start off by saying that I LOVE this series! It's such a fantastic series and I..."
Every Ugly Word

"MY THOUGHTS This was such a hard book to read. This book focuses entirely on the difficult subject of..."
Every Ugly Word

"Every Ugly Word is one of those books that makes you think and reflect. While it is an easy..."
Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)

"MY THOUGHTS I've been seeing this book around for awhile, but it just didn't really interest me. Mostly due..."