Review Detail

Great Introduction to Historical Figure
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)  

Learning Value 

Born in 1880, Helen Keller is famous for her persistent nature, but since she died over sixty years ago, she might be unknown to many young readers. Her story of losing her sight and hearing to a high fever, being educated by Annie Sullivan, and going on to receive a college degree and becoming a supporter of the rights of women and the differently abled deserve a fresh new treatment.

This is a great overview of the key incidents in Keller's life that young readers should know. Even though I have read a number of books about Keller (including Uhlberg's October 2020 My Name is Helen Keller), I had forgotten that Sullivan, her influential teacher, died in 1936, and Polly Thomson was housekeeper and aide to Keller after that.
Good Points
The illustrations are charming, done in pleasant colors, and have just a hint of a cartoon feel to them, which will make them very appealing to young readers. The page set up in I Can Read books has just the right ratio of pictures to text, usually no more than 3 to 5 short sentences per page. The large font is also helpful for beginning readers to follow.

The timeline and photographs at the end of the book are an important addition and are a great glimpse into long ago fashions. There is even a Braille alphabet which readers will find interesting.

Biographies are a great way for young readers to explore the world. I was fascinated by the Childhood of Famous Americans biographies when I was young, and reading those gave me a greater understanding of history, historical figures, and daily life during many different eras.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Girl in Three Parts

0.0 (0)
I can split myself in two . . . something...
Honor Lost (The Honors, #3)

0.0 (0)
Quick-thinking Leviathan pilot Zara Cole must stop a planet-eating monster...
If...

0.0 (0)
Take a fantastical journey through an inspiring world where anything...
Baby Up, Baby Down: A First Book of Opposites

0.0 (0)
Handpicked by Amazon kids’ books editor, Seira Wilson, for Prime...
Be Our Guest!

0.0 (0)
Join Gray Malin’s menagerie of wild animals for a stay...
Hat Tricks

0.0 (0)
Meet Hattie the magician―she’s a natural performer, and you’re invited...
Stanley's Toolbox

0.0 (0)
It’s another busy day with Stanley and friends! ...
Spring Is Here!

0.0 (0)
When spring arrives, baby animals come out to play with...
10 Things I Hate About Pinky

0.0 (0)
The delightful follow-up to When Dimple Met Rishi and There’s...
The Child of Chaos

0.0 (0)
This is what fantasy fiction should be." --Piers Anthony, New...
Want to Read Rate this book 1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars Preview Star-Spangled: The Story of a Flag, a Battle, and the American Anthem

0.0 (0)
“O say can you see” begins one of the most...

0.0 (0)
July 20, 1969. It’s a day that has earned a...
Thurgood Marshall

0.0 (0)
When Thurgood Marshall—the great grandson of a slave—was born, African...
Down Under the Pier

0.0 (0)
There’s lots of fun to be had up on the...
Lali's Feather

0.0 (0)
This endearing story of identification and values shows the rewards...

Latest Member Reviews

This is My Brain in Love

"THIS IS MY BRAIN IN LOVE is a powerful YA contemporary romance about family, mental illness, and working hard to..."
Kat and Meg Conquer the World

"WHAT I LOVED: The course of friendship, like love, doesn’t run smoothly. Epcot at Disney World nearly broke up my..."