Review Detail

Kids Nonfiction 4134
engaging tale of true survival
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)  

Learning Value 

LOST IN THE PACIFIC, 1942 is a true story of survival. During World War II, a plane is on a mission across the ocean, when they become lost, landing in the ocean. The men on board move to rafts, where they will attempt survival against the odds out on the ocean. One of the men is Eddie Rickenbacker, a World War I war hero and who became the face of the crash in the news. Floating in the ocean, the men have little to no food and water and are thus in for a dangerous and uncertain future.

With some descriptions of other people lost at sea and the sickening of the eight men in the rafts, this is a suspenseful story of their journey. Much of the book is spent trying to find food and (drinkable) water, which is harder than it may sound in the middle of the ocean. There is little hope for being found as they are like a needle in the haystack in the ocean.

What I loved: The story really pulls the reader in with the narrative style. The characters really come to life with descriptions of their conversations and loved ones. The danger feels very real with sharks threatening them, the rafts constantly leaking, and no drinkable water available. A true story, it comes to life in this book. Adding onto that the photos included throughout, and the men/journey become tangible for younger readers.

What left me wanting more: There is not a lot going on in the story, as they do not have much to do- and some things are mentioned but not really expanded upon. It would have been interesting to hear more about other survival stories on the ocean and smart things to do (for instance with drinking saltwater, more about the sickness one can get and about other things that could be done). In terms of other things mentioned, they talk about their families and girlfriends-for instance, there were letters being sent, and it would have been nice to include samples of the letters or other information that could help increase their characterization to help the reader connect with the individuals.

Final verdict: This non-fiction tale of survival is brought to young readers in a highly engaging fashion as they travel the ocean with these eight men during World War II. Fans of light suspense and stories of beating the odds will enjoy this narrative tale.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Monster Hypothesis

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Bohring-home to 453 people, 2,053 alligators, and one...
Where the World Ends

0.0 (0)
Winner of the 2018 Carnegie Medal! New from Michael L....
Carnevil (Monsterstreet #3)

0.0 (0)
“Fast, funny, frightening—and filled with shocks and surprises. These books...
Prophecy Untold (Shadow Realms book 3)

0.0 (0)
Finding out my mother was taken by the demons...
Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things

0.0 (0)
In this charming debut about first love and second...
Six Goodbyes We Never Said

0.0 (0)
Two teens meet after tragedy and learn about love,...
Golden Crown

0.0 (0)
No longer only a warrior. Not just a queen....

0.0 (0)
The first vampire. The last Nephilim. The end...
The Galactic Adventures of Hazel - Gurecoa

0.0 (0)
What is it like to live in 4519 AD...
Batman: Nightwalker (The Graphic Novel)

0.0 (0)
This action-packed graphic novel based on the New York...

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Rose Hemmersbach aspires to break out of small town...
Stuffed

0.0 (0)
Welcome, little one. You have been chosen to join us,...

Latest Member Reviews

Refraction

"Marty is a flawed character in any number of ways, not least of which is his propensity to do what's..."
Frankly in Love

"I love this book so much. I read it pretty much in one sitting because I couldn't put it down!..."
Where the World Ends

"WHERE THE WORLD ENDS is an intriguing historical fiction, based on a true story. The boys of Hirta are sent..."
Bury Me

"In horror books and movies, we often see dolls as the main source of scares( such as Annabelle or Child's..."
Juliet Takes a Breath

"Juliet Takes a Breath is a coming of age story about a Latina lesbian from the Bronx who travels to..."
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

"Fireborne is a fantasy novel set nine years after a bloody uprising against a brutal regime in which the poor..."
Jason & Kyra

N/A
"i am from Italy hello. Can you help me translate? /rardor"
The Galactic Adventures of Hazel - Gurecoa

"THE GALACTIC ADVENTURES OF HAZEL - GURECOA takes place in the far future, where our planet is only vaguely recognizable...."
Batman: Nightwalker (The Graphic Novel)

"BATMAN: NIGHTWALKER (THE GRAPHIC NOVEL) converts the YA novel by Marie Lu into graphic novel format. The plot remains the..."
Adorkable

"ADORKABLE is a book you can easily predict, but the journey is unbelievably delightful. Sally Spitz is a senior in..."
Six Goodbyes We Never Said

"SIX GOODBYES WE NEVER SAID is quite a heavy YA contemporary. We follow Naima and Dew in alternating sections. Naima..."
Wilder Girls

" THIS WAS INCREDIBLE. This book reads like BUTTER...… Moldy, rotten, disgusting butter,..."