Review Detail

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)  

Learning Value 

Ms. Acevedo, scientist by training and CEO of the Girl Scouts of the USA, grew up in New Mexico in the 1960s and 70s. Her father was a scientist who had some personal issues, and her mother struggled with English when Sylvia was young. Her younger sister was left with learning issues after a bout with meningitis. Despite these challenges, Sylvia loves school and reading, and was determined to make life better for her family. Even though st the time, girls were not always encouraged to aim for careers, explore science, or learn to fix cars, Sylvia doggedly pursued what she liked despite meeting resistance from her teachers. Being involved in the Girl Scouts gave her opportunities she might not have had otherwise, and she was given more support for her interests, especially when a leader allowed her to pursue a badge for an older Girl Scout group when she was interested in studying space. She was also interested in band and basketball, and used the many life skills she acquired through persevering with these interests to go on to college, graduate school, and a varied career.
Good Points
This is well formatted and engaging, with just enough pictures to give us a feel for the time. Ms. Acevedo's story is a fantastic example for young readers that if one has focus and determination, there is a lot that can be accomplished, even if life isn't always easy. The treatment of Latinx during this time period is something I have not seen covered in middle grade literature very much, making this a good follow up to something like Sylvia and Aki, which covers the treatment of this group during WWII.

Acevedo must be about 8 years older than I am, so while the details of growing up at that time are spot on, the book was a little boring for me because it seemed so much like my own life! (Yes, even in 1978 there was only one girl in my class who opted out of home ec and took shop class instead!) I'm curious to see if students today will be surprised about the strictures placed on girls, and recognize that there is still a way to go before there are enough women in the scientific and technical fields.

I generally don't buy biographies or memoirs until the subjects have passed away (biography of Michael Jackson from 1984, anyone?), but a good memoir tells a story of a particular time, place, and set of circumstances that can be relevant even if the subject goes on to have a more stories career. For readers who liked the Barakat's Balcony on the Moon, Collard 's Snakes, Alligators, and Broken Hearts: Journeys of a Biologist's Son, Saedi's Americanized: Rebel Without a Green Card or Grande, 's The Distance Between Us, this is a timely and topical choice.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Don't Date Rosa Santos

0.0 (0)
Rosa Santos is cursed by the sea-at least, that's...
Darknessontheedgeoftown.jpg

0.0 (0)
Chief Jim Hopper reveals long-awaited secrets to Eleven about...
My Ideal Boyfriend is a Croissant

0.0 (0)
This honest, laugh-out-loud novel brimming with body positivity, bite-sized...
Air Awakens

0.0 (0)
A library apprentice, a sorcerer prince, and an unbreakable...
Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)

0.0 (0)
Maia Tamarin dreams of becoming the greatest tailor in...
Girl Gone Ghost

0.0 (0)
A gripping psychological thriller. Inspired by a serial killer...
Every Stolen Breath

5.0 (1)
The Swarm is unrecognizable, untraceable, and unpredictable—random attacks on the...
Cursed Beauty

0.0 (0)
Aurora Rose Brynhild is out of time. ...
The C Word

0.0 (0)
Addison: Secrets have a way of getting out....
Aphelion

0.0 (0)
Ky isn’t your typical seventeen-year-old girl. She's an alien hunter.Ky...
Announcing Trouble

0.0 (0)
I may know everything there is to know about baseball,...
Seneca Lake

0.0 (0)
It's 1944, and high school senior Meg Michaels has always...
Freshman Witch

0.0 (0)
Of course, magic is real. Everybody knows that. ...
Sarai and The Around The World Fair

0.0 (0)
When Sarai outgrows her bike, she worries she'll never get...
Of Beast and Beauty

0.0 (0)
7 vengeful sisters 7 fairytale kingdoms 7 daughters...
The Pepper Party Picks The Perfect Pet (The Pepper Party, #1)

0.0 (0)
Meet the Peppers. Funny runs in the family....

Latest Member Reviews

A Straw Man

"'A Straw Man' by Amalie Jahn is the third and final installment in her 'Clay Lion' series. Melody, the sister..."
All the Walls of Belfast

"Nearly a modern day retelling of Romeo and Juliet in the Northern Ireland past the Troubles, ALL THE WALLS OF..."
North To Nara (Crimson Sash, Book 1)

"I’ve always been a sucker for dystopian. This is not a secret. The obsession with The Hunger Games is still..."
A Straw Man

"n the third and final installment in the ‘The Clay Lion’ trilogy, Charlie’s little sister Melody takes her own trip..."
Tin Men

"In this continuation of the ‘Clay Lion’ series, Brooke’s boyfriend Charlie takes his own journey into his past and in..."
Love at First Fight

"Take everything you think you know about the geek-and-jock-fall-in-love trope and throw it away because this book does not follow..."
Tin Men

"'Tin Men' by Amalie Jahn is the second in her Clay Lion series. The story revolves around Charlie, who learns..."
Lions and Lamps

"What I Loved: The setting is fascinating and complex, the world building rich and thoughtful. Robinson fully realizes the steampunk..."
Finley and the Foster Brother

"A heartwarming tale of first love. The Story: Finley hasn't had it easy. Her mentally ill mother can't care..."
When Darkness Falls

"The story: When seventeen-year-old Austen finds her dad’s car on the side of the car with a dead women inside..."
Playing by Heart

"This beautifully written Young Adult novel centers around the strong faith of two sisters, Emilia and Maria, and their extraordinary..."
Playing by Heart

"This is a beautiful piece of historical fiction, set in 18th century Milan. The main character is a musician, and..."
Dragon's Awakening

"When Kaylee goes on a date and the guy tries to make a move on her, she accidentally calls on..."
Meet Me There

" A fun, sweet romance. The Story: In Meet Me There follows Ashlyn and Luke, two people who couldn't..."
Meet Me There

"'Meet Me There' by Judy Corry follows main characters Luke and Ashlyn. They don't get along too well, especially since..."
Reactive: A YA Dystopian Romance (The Elite Trials Book 1)

"The story: Lune Tatum, the adoptive daughter of this dystopian world’s Supreme Elite, wants out. Out of the walled..."
The Secret Lives of Princesses

"THE SECRET LIVES OF PRINCESSES brings elements of Aladdin (one of my favorite fairy tales) into today's society. Jasmine has..."
The Secret Lives of Princesses

"'The Secret Lives of Princesses' by Seven Steps is yet another enjoyable addition to the St. Mary's Academy series of..."
Playing by Heart

"The Story: Emilia is a young woman in Milan who has become somewhat of a musical prodigy. She's a composer..."
The Genesis of Evangeline

"Evie's past is a black void and because of that, she's uncertain who she really is and where she belongs...."