Review Detail

Social Decoding
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)  

Learning Value 

Utilizing plain language and a kid-friendly presentation, Growing Friendships examines and addresses a wide range of socially detrimental issues such as: isolation, bragging, oversharing, negativity, clinginess, stubbornness, possessiveness, mind-reading, overreacting, passivity, grudge-holding, and bossiness.

The book is made up of 15 chapters, and the text is regularly broken up via single-panel black-and-white comics featuring human (child) figures serving as examples of different behaviors, scenarios, and possible approaches. There are also the recurring characters of a sarcastic, self-centric cat and his affable dog friend—who act as commentators and attempted comedy relief. The artwork is simple but effective. And as it is a topical guide, there’s plenty of potential for readers to experience the different chapters and sections out of order.

This guide holds the potential to be a particularly important tool for children who may be dealing with social anxiety, transitioning to a new school, or who place somewhere on the autism spectrum. (It could also aid the parents of said children, who are looking for effective ways to impart social strategies.) The section of chapters called ‘Blending In To Join Friends’ has many tips and examples for children who struggle with social cues, or who don’t have an innate tendency to harmonize with group dynamics.

One of the most valuable aspects, to this reviewer’s mind, was the careful explanations on what does and does not constitute bullying. (Something my own children and their elementary school peers seem consistently confused over.) It is pointed out that, in order for a social situation to meet the definition of bullying—not simply a disagreement, misunderstanding, or teasing—there needs to be a power differential between the participants. Once readers are given the tools to identify true bullying, the author also offers an array of methods for constructively dealing with it.

I read this (at the rate of 1-2 chapters per night) to my somewhat socially challenged 7 and 9-year-olds—hoping they might come away with improved awareness and perhaps some better techniques for interacting with their peers. While they both listened well and responded to the chapter review questions, my 7-year-old seemed to have more trouble with grasping and retaining the concepts. So, I would have to suggest this book in its entirety be used for an 8+ audience.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Light at the Bottom of the World (The Light at the Bottom of the World, #1)

0.0 (0)
In the last days of the twenty-first century, sea creatures...
Conceal, Don't Feel (Twisted Tales, #7)

0.0 (0)
What if Anna and Elsa never knew each other? ...

0.0 (0)
Bestselling Divergent and Carve the Mark author Veronica Roth delivers...
Bernard Pepperlin

0.0 (0)
The drowsy Dormouse from Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland...
Vicarious

0.0 (0)
Paula Stokes weaves together a series of mysteries and the...
The Bookworm Crush

0.0 (0)
This spinoff of The Replacement Crush featuring Amy and Toff...
The Unexpected Everything

0.0 (0)
Andie must learn to embrace the beauty in chaos in...
What I Like About You

0.0 (0)
Can a love triangle have only two people in it?...
The Kinder Poison

0.0 (0)
In the magical kingdom of Orkena, Zahru has long dreamed...
Scared Little Rabbits

0.0 (0)
We stand in a tight cluster, high above the lake....
Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)

0.0 (0)
Seventh-grader Tristan Strong feels anything but strong ever since he...
The Library of Lost Things

0.0 (0)
From the moment she first learned to read, literary...
The Athena Protocol

0.0 (0)
Bourne Identity meets Karen McManus in this action-packed series...
The Reader

0.0 (0)
Hunted, shot, and without her memory, eighteen-year-old Ann Baker...
Igloo-High-cover.jpg

0.0 (0)
Senior year was supposed to be fabulous for popular...
The Burning Shadow (Origin Series, #2)

4.3 (2)

0.0 (0)
When Evelyn Dasher crossed paths with Luc, she was...

Latest Member Reviews

Bernard Pepperlin

"Bernard Pepperlin is the doormouse from Alice in Wonderland. After being forced into a teapot, Bernard climbs out to find..."
The Squatchicorns: A Delightful Read

"In this chapter book, The Squatchicorns by Ellen Potter, the third book in a series about a friendship between a..."
The Cook and the King

"'The Cook and the King' by Julia Donaldson, illustrated by David Roberts, is a cute story that shows how working..."
Santa Mouse

"SANTA MOUSE is a cute rhyme about a mouse who did not have a name but does have a special..."
Silly Lullaby (Boynton on Board)

"Boynton is a hit with toddlers, and this is another charming book that makes it easy to see why. SILLY..."
Nikki Tesla and the Ferret-Proof Death Ray

"Nikki Tesla is an espionage novel for pre-teens. It’s exciting, engaging, and utterly unique. Nikki Tesla is a..."
Penny and Her Sled

"PENNY AND HER SLED is a chapter book for early readers that follows a mouse named Penny. Penny has been..."
Twins

"TWINS is an adorably charming picture book that celebrates close friends, siblings, and twins (whether identical or not). A boy..."
Have You Seen My Blankie?

"Take a magical journey with Princess Alice in this delightful picture book. HAVE YOU SEEN MY BLANKIE? tells the story..."
Dias y Dias/Days and Days

"'Dias y Dias, Days and Days' by Ginger Foglesong Guy, illustrated by Rene King Moreno, is a simple story that..."
The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)

"Witty, clever, and full of mischief, THE FOWL TWINS is a spin-off of ARTEMIS FOWL that easily stands on its..."
Kai and the Monkey King (Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #3)

"KAI AND THE MONKEY KING is an engaging and thrilling installment in the Brownstone's Mythical Collection series. In this book,..."
The Rubicus Prophecy (The Witches of Orkney, #2)

"THE RUBICUS PROPHECY is an engaging second book in the WITCHES OF ORKNEY series that follows the same friends on..."
Fancy Nancy: Camp Fancy

"When Dad tells Nancy stories about when he and Mom used to go camping, Nancy knows it's something she has..."
A Warm Friendship

"A WARM FRIENDSHIP is a story of friendship and loss, celebrating the time that you have together. Squirrel finds Snowman..."
Hilda and the Mountain King (Hilda, #6)

"HILDA AND THE MOUNTAIN KING is an engaging and thrilling children's fantasy adventure. This graphic novel tells the story of..."
Good Night, Santa: A Magical Christmas Story

"GOOD NIGHT, SANTA is a simple but elegant book that celebrates the Christmas season, perfect for bedtime. The illustrations are..."
Jolly Jingly Christmas: The Best Christmas Book Ever!

"JOLLY JINGLY CHRISTMAS is a cute rhyming, lift-the-flap, musical, non-religious celebration of the season. Each of the five full page..."
Dear Sweet Pea

"Sweet Pea is in her last year of primary school (K-7th grade) and will be starting at secondary school the..."
I Can Make This Promise

"I CAN MAKE THIS PROMISE is a moving middle grade contemporary fiction about trusting your parents, finding your heritage, and..."