Review Detail

Kids Nonfiction 2125
Sparking Ideas
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)  

Learning Value 

Hours of step-by-step projects--endless sculpting and light-up possibilities.
This electrical sculpture kit contains four colors of conducting clay (purple, green, orange, and black), a pack of white insulating clay, 20 LED lights in five colors (red, white, yellow, blue, and green), and 53 paper punch-out pieces for embellishment. The 52-page booklet includes detailed instructions on 13 different projects—including UFOs, robots, and dragons.

The concept is ingenious, combining art with the very basics of electrical engineering. My 8-year-old son spent roughly 4 hours one afternoon attempting her own versions of nearly every inspiration example. After some help with the first project, he was able to take it from there pretty well on his own.

It is especially pertinent that you read pages 6-7 before starting. The instructions cover LED care, clean up, and battery pack handling. Kids will likely appreciate that the instructions not only tell you what to do and not do, but also give an explanation of WHY. (Be mindful that the insulating clay is integral to the project working, and it can be a bit touchy. If any of the conducting clay makes it past the insulating layer, the sculpture won’t light up.)

Note: The clay does NOT conduct electricity after dries out, so bear this in mind and either disassemble or place completed sculptures in an air-tight container or bag to prevent it becoming inert.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Ashes (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #3)

0.0 (0)
"The truth was, I wasn’t on anyone’s side except Claire’s....
Fire (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #2)

0.0 (0)
After being killed by demons, former angel Adam wakes up...
Spark (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #1)

0.0 (0)
"It came out of nowhere. A sweep of emotions. Love,...
The Twin

0.0 (0)
After their parents divorced, 10-year-old twins Ivy and Iris were...
Devil Darling Spy

0.0 (0)
It's 1940, and Sarah Goldstein is hiding in plain sight...
The Life Below

0.0 (0)
It was hard enough for Naomi to leave Leo, a...
Mr Penguin and the Fortress of Secrets (Mr Penguin #2)

0.0 (0)
Meet Mr. Penguin―Adventurer (And Penguin!) When Mr. Penguin...
Famous by Default

0.0 (0)
Jax Buried, By my family's fame. Dying to escape...
Sword and Pen (Great Library Book, #5)

0.0 (0)
With the future of the Great Library in doubt,...
Butterfly Yellow

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of Elizabeth Acevedo, Ibi Zoboi, and...
Jonny Lambert's Construction Site

0.0 (0)
A beautifully illustrated book for babies featuring lots of noisy...
Pop-Up Peekaboo! Baby Animals

0.0 (0)
Take your toddler on a rain forest adventure and find...
Seven Deadly Shadows

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Kira Fujikawa has never had it easy. She’s...
Pet
Pet

0.0 (0)
The highly-anticipated, genre-defying new novel by award-winning author Akwaeke...
Gray (The Wings Trilogy, #3)

0.0 (0)
The long anticipated finale to the Wings Trilogy. ...
Black (The Wings Trilogy, #2)

0.0 (0)
"I was the weak link in the chain, and the...

Latest Member Reviews

Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons #1)

"I snapped this one up because I love Wonder Woman, and I much appreciated Leigh Bardugo's adept writing in Six..."
Heart and Shadow

"Heart and Shadow includes the two stories of the Valkyrie Duology. The story is an urban fantasy that mixes Norse..."
The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight, #1)

"THE TIGER AT MIDNIGHT is a lush YA fantasy that follows two primary characters in alternating points-of-view. Esha is known..."
Sky in the Deep

" My only complaint is that the fight scenes were a bit confusing and at times too short. I would..."
City of Dust

"City of Dust is the follow up to Book of Fire which for me was the perfect blend of history,..."
Muse of Nightmares

"I honestly didn't think any book could top Strange the Dreamer, it was such a fantastic start to a new..."
Muse of Nightmares

"Reading a Laini Taylor book is always such an experience. I fell in love with her Daughter of Smoke and..."
A Touch of Gold

"When I read the synopsis for this book I was immediately intrigued. I love retellings and this book seemed right..."
Sky in the Deep

"What worked: This is a highly engaging historical tale of a teen warrior who is taken by a rival clan..."
Sky in the Deep

"If you’re looking for an action-packed novel with a fierce female main character who is multifaceted, and the text is..."
Sky in the Deep

"No comment."
Sky in the Deep

"Great strong woman character in Eelyn, I couldn't get enough of this book!"
The Hidden Oracle (Trials of Apollo #1)

"I have always been a Rick Riordan fan, but am tired of reading the same things over and over again...."
Sky in the Deep

"Riki and Aska are two clans that are fated to fight for following different gods. The Aska believe in Sigr..."

"When Leigh Bardugo and Wonder Woman collide, I expect great things. This was the first book release of the four..."

"I finally got a chance to sit down and read this one and I was not disappointed. It definitely..."

"Wonder Woman: Warbringer is as wonderful and fierce as you'd expect coming from the amazing creator of the Grisha universe...."
The Monstrous Child

"THIS MONSTROUS CHILD is about how Hel, a young teenage girl came to rule the underworld and how she and..."
Omega (Omega #1)

" Omega is an addictive, engaging adventure that effortlessly combines fantasy, greek mythology, and dystopia. Not only does our MC..."
The Blood of Olympus (Heroes of Olympus #5)

"4.4 stars! Another great series by Rick Riordan! A great plot where Greek and Roman mythology intertwine. I loved the..."