Kids Nonfiction 2136
Wanderlustful
(Updated: April 09, 2013)
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)  

Learning Value 

What I loved:
Having never been to Rome, there is very little I know about the city outside what I learned in school and saw in films. This adorable little pop-up guide book shows you where each great attraction is located in the city and what each one is famous for. The illustrations are whimsical and inviting, and I found myself wishing I could hop right onto the page and see the sights in real life. If only books were a uniquely *transportable* magic...

What left me wanting:
Nothing at all. This book is thorough without being boring and overwhelming. Only the most basic facts are presented.

However, I will say that even though the book is aged for kindergarten and above, I'd probably give this book to older elementary kids or younger middle schoolers. The facts presented are written in a way that is geared toward that older age group. Also, that was the age I really started getting interested in traveling and far-off cities like Paris and Rome. Of course it depends on the child and their interests, but that would be my personal recommendation. I know as a "wanderlustful" sixth grader, I would've devoured this book and used it as a primer to get myself prepared for my very own Roman Holiday. My piggybank would've been overflowing.

Thank you, Candlewick, for these adorable 3D Keepsake books. Keep them coming!
Good Points
- Excellent architectural illustrations
- Lots of facts and basic info
- Great for travel-minded kids, older elementary school or middle school
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Cousins

0.0 (0)
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of One...
A Curse of Roses

0.0 (0)
Based on Portuguese legend, this #OwnVoices historical fantasy is an...
I Don't Want to Wash my Hands!

0.0 (0)
From beloved children's author and illustrator Tony Ross, comes a...
Dance Like a Leaf

0.0 (0)
As her grandmother's health declines, a young girl begins to...
The Bitterwine Oath

3.3 (2)

0.0 (0)
San Solano, Texas, is a quaint town known for...
Sing Like No One's Listening

0.0 (0)
A moving YA debut about a talented young singer...
Heiress Apparently (Daughters of the Dynasty, #1)

0.0 (0)
The first book in an epic and romantic YA...
The Good Girls

0.0 (0)
One of Us Is Lying meets Sadie in this...
Frozen 2: Dangerous Secrets: The Story of Iduna and Agnarr

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Iduna harbors a dark secret. On the surface,...
The Camelot Betrayal

0.0 (0)
The second book in a new fantasy trilogy from...

0.0 (0)
Every summer, they say goodbye. Dorit goes to Tel Aviv...
Incredible Animals

0.0 (0)
In this illustrated guide, discover fascinating and unusual information about...
Special Delivery

0.0 (0)
A lovely book to share with children in an expecting...
Eyelike Stickers: Trains

0.0 (0)
Hundreds of irresistible, reusable, and collectible stickers to mix, match,...

0.0 (0)
It is twenty years since the events of La Belle...
Winter Light

0.0 (0)
WINTER LIGHT is the story of 15-year-old Mary Donahue...

Latest Member Reviews

The Mermaid, The Witch, and the Sea

"THE MERMAID, THE WITCH, AND THE SEA is a lush, beautiful, and romantic fantasy that follows Flora, now living as..."
The Summoner (Zora and Me, #3)

"ZORA AND ME: THE SUMMONER transports the reader to Eatonville, the first incorporated Black township in Florida, in the early..."
Everything I Thought I Knew

"What worked: Intriguing plot of Chloe, a seventeen-year-old super-achiever, who ends up collapsing during her senior year in high school..."
1789: Twelve Authors Explore a Year of Rebellion, Revolution, & Change

"What worked: Fascination collection of essays that show the impact of the year 1789 in the world.In this anthology, twelve..."
Wild Girl: How to Have Incredible Outdoor Adventures

"WILD GIRL: HOW TO HAVE INCREDIBLE OUTDOOR ADVENTURES is written by Helen Skelton, a veteran wild girl herself. In this..."
Beauty Mark: A Verse Novel of Marilyn Monroe

"What worked: Haunting, tragic tale of the life of Marilyn Monroe, told in verse which gives a powerful punch to..."
The Goldrush Girl

"Victoria Blaisdell (who likes to be called Tory even though her mother doesn't think it is proper) has a good..."
Smooth

"Kevin is starting tenth grade, and has been battling horrible cystic acne. At his doctor's appointment right before the school..."
Spindle and Dagger

"Spindle and Dagger by J. Anderson Coats is a beautiful, yet brutal, literary novel set in Medieval Wales. It is..."
Spindle and Dagger

"Spindle and Dagger by J. Anderson Coats is a unique, dark tale set in Medieval Wales. The author did their..."
The Nest That Wren Built

"THE NEST THAT WREN BUILT is a lovely journey through the process of building a nest to hatchlings who leave..."
Daring Darleen, Queen of the Screen

"Darleen comes from a long line of entertainers; her father and his siblings are all part of Matchless Studios, a..."
We Are All His Creatures: Tales of P. T. Barnum, the Greatest Showman

"WE ARE ALL HIS CREATURES by Deborah Noyes is a series of eleven short stories about the beloved showman, P.T...."
On Snowden Mountain

"ON SNOWDEN MOUNTAIN is a heavy historical middle grade read, which deals with depression, alcoholism, war, domestic abuse/violence, and child..."
The Little Grey Girl (The Wild Magic Trilogy, #2)

"THE LITTLE GREY GIRL is the second book in a trilogy, but I found that it could be read on..."
Between Worlds: Folktales of Britain and Ireland

"BETWEEN WORLDS: FOLKTALES OF BRITAIN AND IRELAND is a collection of short stories that have been passed down over centuries..."
What Makes Us

"WHAT MAKES US is an intriguing story that follows a teenaged boy, his mother (in the past), and his friend..."
The Rift

"THE RIFT is a unique YA fantasy that takes place on Black Water Island, a place prized for the herd..."

"Sam Jones and Zoe Miller are seniors in high school, but they've never had a reason to communicate during their..."
Douglas

"DOUGLAS is the story of a mouse who lives at the theater. She often likes to eat the snacks dropped..."