Review Detail

Kids Nonfiction 1400
A beautiful new edition of a classic nonsense poem
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)  

Learning Value 

Kids Can Press under the imprint KCP Poetry are putting out a delightful series of classic poems. I say delightful because they are lovely illustrations, hardbound, and just really well done. These are the kind of books you would want to add to your collection.

If you arent already familiar with Edward Lears poetry, this volume is a good introduction. Known as a nonsense poet of the Victorian era, Lear had a charming touch with words.

In The Owl and the Pussycat a decidedly odd couple fall in love and decide to get married. Youve probably heard at least this part of the poem before:

The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea

In a beautiful pea green boat,

They took some honey, and plenty of money,

Wrapped up in a five pound note.

Stephane Jorischs whimsical illustrations suit the poem very well and add to the overall delightful (theres that word again) feel of this book. Included in the back are brief bios of both the poet and the illustrator, again making this a nice collectors item.

Recommended for lovers of poetry and Edward Lear. Good for all ages (though, honestly, the books are so nice I would probably not let my little grubby-fingered one handle it by himself).
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Kingdom of Ink and Paper (The Betwixt and Between Chronicles Book 1)

0.0 (0)
Every book you’ve ever read. Every story you’ve ever ...
The First Holidays

0.0 (0)
Lila Weston is a pro at keeping secrets, but this...
Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)

0.0 (0)
In this riveting, keenly emotional debut fantasy, a Black teen...
You Say It First

0.0 (0)
One conversation can change everything. Meg has her entire...
My High School Royal Boyfriend

0.0 (0)
ALEX A tragedy at Langley Estate puts my family...
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Clark thought he knew what grief was. Addie thought...
Tales from the Hinterland

0.0 (0)
A gorgeously illustrated collection of twelve “lush and deliciously...
Sisters of Shadow and Light

0.0 (0)
From the acclaimed author of Defy, Sara B. Larson,...
In the Penalty Box

0.0 (0)
Willow Figure skating was supposed to be my whole...
Unchosen

0.0 (0)
Katharyn Blair crafts a fiercely feminist fantasy with a horrifying...
Miracle Girl

0.0 (0)
Leanne Strong hates June eighth even though it's supposed to...
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Rosie Singer’s mom is missing whatever it is that...
Singled Out: The True Story of Glenn Burke

0.0 (0)
On October 2nd, 1977, Glenn Burke, outfielder for the Los...
The Elephant in the Room

0.0 (0)
It's been almost a year since Sila's mother traveled halfway...
Alone in the Woods

0.0 (0)
Jocelyn and Alex have always been best friends...until they aren't....
Disaster Days

0.0 (0)
Hannah Steele loves living on Pelling, a tiny island near...

Latest Member Reviews

Sun Flower Lion

"SUN FLOWER LION is a great early reader picture book. Told in very brief chapters, the book captures a brief..."
Summer Song

"SUMMER SONG is a book that captures the essence of summer in its lyrical text and images. Summer is a..."
Penny and Her Sled

"PENNY AND HER SLED is a chapter book for early readers that follows a mouse named Penny. Penny has been..."
A Parade of Elephants

"Five elephants march along the pages of Kevin Henkes's picture book, A PARADE OF ELEPHANTS. As they make their way..."
Egg

"EGG is a cute and simple board book that primarily focuses on the illustrations. The story begins with four eggs,..."
Sweeping Up the Heart

"Amelia lives a quiet life in a college town with her introspective father and kindly neighbor Mrs. O’Brien, who looks..."
When Spring Comes

"WHEN SPRING COMES teaches about the signs to look for to show you that spring is coming. The snow will..."
In the Middle of Fall

"IN THE MIDDLE OF FALL is a short, quick, and easy read that shows what you'll see during a typical..."
Egg

"EGG a story about four eggs waiting to hatch and three do. But the fourth is left waiting and waiting...."
Waiting

"WAITING is a subtle story about play, about time, and about acceptance. A group of animal toys stand waiting on..."
Little White Rabbit

"Kevin Henkes LITTLE WHITE RABBIT is one of those sweet picture books you want to share with your kids over..."
Junonia

"Junonia shells are rare, but Alice hopes this is the year she will find one, because she’s turning ten, and..."

"Reader reviewed by absolutebookluver I absolutely LOVED this book! I found myself able to really relate to Martha,..."

"Reader reviewed by Ritz This book is really good. I recommend it to anybody who likes to just read. It..."

"Reader reviewed by Sarah This book is about Martha growing up and better understanding her relationships with people. She must..."

"Reader reviewed by artemis This story is good. It deals with universal issues and it was sad at times. I..."

"Reader reviewed by Jen You must read this book it is sad, romantic, sorrowful, and happy. This was one of..."

"Reader reviewed by Calamander This book is about this girl named Martha going to her Grandmothers house and figuring things..."

"Reader reviewed by Jamie I could not put this book down that's how good it was oh and I read..."

"Reader reviewed by Calamander This book is about a girl who is mourning in memory of a girl in her..."