Review Detail

Imaginative
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Reader reviewed by Ian (Age 13)

Mak is a 12-year-old girl who lives in Pasadena, California. Mak's mother is pregnant with twins. One night while she is sleeping, Mak is visited by three faeries who tell her that she is the "Virago", and that she must protect her yet-unborn siblings, a boy and a girl, from the forces of evil. The faeries give her the Armasword, a mystical weapon wielded by David of the Hebrews and King Arthur in the forms of David's Sling and Excalibur. The next morning, Mak's dad wakes her up early to go to the hospital where the twins are born. She instantly falls in love with the two babies. That afternoon after school as she arrives at the hospital to see them again, her dad is almost hit by a car. He would have been if she had not saved him with her Lowrider, a three-wheeled skateboard. Upon landing in the flowerbeds of the hospital after pushing her dad from harms way, an earthworm starts speaking to her. The earthworm, dubbed by Mak Fluffy, has a New York accent. He tells her that he was sent by the Faeries, whose names were Marigold, Bree and Dee, to help her on her quest. A week later when Mak's mother and the twins return from the hospital, a nanny with a fake English accent arrives at the door. The nanny, with her skin pulled too tightly over her face, is called Mrs. Revel, and Mak despises her immediately. The next day when Mrs. Revel takes the twins to the park, Mak tags along because she has been warned that Sir Seaton, the devil, will be searching for the twins to destroy their chance of growing up to defeat all evil. When she arrives at the park, she stays close to Mrs. Revel and the twins in their double stroller. All goes well until Mak is attacked by one of the hounds, giant ugly dogs from hell that can shoot heat beams out of their eyes. She discovers that the Lowrider is her version of the Armasword and has the ability to fly and become a shield. After the battle with the hound is over, Mak discovers that Mrs. Revel is actually Marigold in disguise, and that Fluffy is a traitor that tipped the hound off to their location. Mak must protect the babies from Sir Seaton and his two henchmen. While normally they are unnaturally beautiful women, they can transform into their true form, giant reptilian monsters called the Alghanii.

"The Chronicles of the Virago" is an original book, and Michael K. Bialys writes differently than most authors. This book is for ages 10 and up who enjoy reading about a normal person being thrust into a situation they never dreamed of.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Instant Karma

0.0 (0)
In New York Times bestselling author Marissa Meyer's young adult...
Put Yourself in My Shoes

0.0 (0)
When Cricket goes for a walk, he finds Ladybug searching...
Selma

0.0 (0)
Selma is asked: What is happiness? ...
Benjamin's Blue Feet

0.0 (0)
A young bird with a flair for discovery and invention...
Pocket Piggies: I Love You!

0.0 (0)
What’s the best thing in the world? I...
Everything Under the Sun

0.0 (0)
Sun’s Reach is in dire peril. The last...
Lizzy Albright and the Attic Window

0.0 (0)
Lizzy Albright, a red-headed, freckle-faced girl from Overland Park, Kansas,...
Send Me Their Souls (Bring Me Their Hearts, #3)

0.0 (0)
There are worse things than death. ...
The Walrus and the Caribou

0.0 (0)
When the earth was new, words had the power to...
The Elephant's Umbrella

0.0 (0)
Elephant is always ready and willing to share her prized...
Calvin Gets the Last Word

0.0 (0)
The dictionary as narrator? YES! ...
Goblin King (Permafrost, #2)

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)

0.0 (0)
Morrigan battles a new evil as a strange, frightening illness...
The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)

0.0 (0)
*AN INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER* From New York...
Earth-Shattering Events: Volcanoes, earthquakes, cyclones, tsunamis and other natural disasters

0.0 (0)
An atlas of the most extreme meteorological and geological disasters...
Among the Beasts and Briars

0.0 (0)
Ashley Poston, acclaimed author of Heart of Iron, returns...

Latest Member Reviews

Put Yourself in My Shoes

"PUT YOURSELF IN MY SHOES is a cute picture book about empathy and friendship. Cricket is going on a walk..."
Selma

"SELMA is a simple book that seeks to tackle a complex topic- what is happiness? The answer goes back to..."
Benjamin's Blue Feet

"BENJAMIN'S BLUE FEET is a picture book that deals with body image and insecurity. Benjamin is a blue-footed booby and..."
Pocket Piggies: I Love You!

"POCKET PIGGIES: I LOVE YOU! is another adorable collection of photographs of real pocket pigs. Each page features a short..."
The Walrus and the Caribou

"THE WALRUS AND THE CARIBOU is a delightful picture book that captures Indigenous folklore about the creation of animals. Guk..."
The Elephant's Umbrella

"THE ELEPHANT'S UMBRELLA is a picture book with great illustrations and a moral of kindness. The elephant has a special..."
Calvin Gets the Last Word

"CALVIN GETS THE LAST WORD is a cute picture book told from the perspective of Calvin's beloved dictionary. He is..."
Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)

"HOLLOWPOX is an engaging middle grade fantasy that takes the reader on a magical journey to the Wundrous Society. Morrigan..."
How to Catch a Yeti

"HOW TO CATCH A YETI is a delightful picture book about a group of children who, as the title implies,..."
Along Came a Fox

"ALONG CAME A FOX is the story of Bramble, who is excited to find some fireflies. Her friends tell her..."
Rosa's Big Pizza Experiment (Rosa's Workshop)

"ROSA'S BIG PIZZA EXPERIMENT is a cute picture book about the process to make a pizza, beginning with the flour,..."
Rosa's Big Sunflower Experiment (Rosa's Workshop)

"ROSA'S BIG SUNFLOWER EXPERIMENT is a cute picture book that brings science and plant facts to young children. Rosa and..."
That Dog!

"THAT DOG! is a silly fun picture book about animal similarities and light crime solving. Penny is a dognapper, and..."
I'm a Zcary Vampire

"I'M A ZCARY VAMPIRE is an overall cute picture book read that is great for the lead up to Halloween...."
Heroes Level Up (Homerooms & Hall Passes #2)

"Albiorix and his crew are having a great time being back in Bríandalör, successfully completing a lot of quests, but..."
Last: The Story of a White Rhino

"LAST: THE STORY OF A WHITE RHINO tells the story of the real rhino, Sudan, who is one of the..."
When Pumpkins Fly

"WHEN PUMPKINS FLY is about the arrival of pumpkins via plane that are then taken to the classroom where children..."
Owl Always Love You

"OWL ALWAYS LOVE YOU is a sweet board book that is made for bedtime. It is a sweet poem about..."
Twins

"Francine and Maureen feel differently about starting middle school; Francine is reinventing herself, going by "Fran"and rocking a hat an..."
Eleanor, Anna, and the Roosevelt Ghosts

"Eleanor Roosevelt has been living with her Grandmother Hall since her mother and father have both passed away. The older..."