Review Detail

4.4 8
Kids Fiction 1476
Follow the Rules
Overall rating

Plot/Characters/Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Reader reviewed by Kim Peek

When a 12-year-old girl moves in next-door, Catherine hopes life will finally seem normal.
She longs to be an ordinary girl doing regular girl things--riding her bike and swimming in the pond with her best friend. Instead, life revolves around her brother David and his autism.

To help David avoid embarrassing situations, she keeps a running list of rulesthings like: Chew with your mouth closed and If the bathroom door is closed, knock (especially if Catherine has a friend over)!

Catherine goes with her mom to David's occupational therapy sessions. In the waiting area, she meets Jason, a boy who uses a wheelchair and communicates by touching cards in his word book.

When Catherine is torn between Jason and the new girl next door, she is forced to evaluate what friendship means.

RULES is a touching story about families, friendship and fitting in. Catherine, Jason and David are just like real kids next doorthe kind of kids you fall in love with and want to shelter from the harsh world.

I read RULES in one sitting on the day it arrived; I couldnt put it down. I felt the tension and the loveand I wanted to stay in Catherines world for just a bit longer. I carried the characters around in my head and my heart for several days...and, Im not sure theyll really ever leave me.

Cynthia Lords debut novel is a must-read! I highly-recommend this magical novel that will change the way many people view the world.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account