Review Detail

Rebellious to Roots
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Reader reviewed by snailshot

The story of a battle in the reign of the Pevensies (which was alluded to in the second book), The Horse and His Boy hardly seems like an extension or installment of The Chronicles of Narnia . In fact the only clue I had of this book was the familiar characters (hardly) of the Pevensies and their talking beast friends. In this book, Lewis seemed to lose his audience, talking of more regal things as romance, and losing the innocence of accidental adventure that we find in its two predecessors. The non-childishness in fact, messes with the magestic mysticism that is the series. And it didn't help that I had no idea about the other lands surrounding Narnia, a leap in geography.

Though I'd hate to say it, for the first two-thirds of the novel, I anxiously anticipated the end.But the endearing parable didn't fail to disappoint.The tale of a slave boy's journey to his true reality of royalty was what kept me in. Though his adventure wasn't it, it was his encounter with Aslan and his dicovery of faith that made me read till the end.

In encourage you to read, though sluggish at the start, till the end, you will see what makes it apart of The Chronicles of Narnia .
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Izzy Gizmo and the Invention Convention

0.0 (0)
In this companion to the award-winning Izzy Gizmo, Izzy Gizmo...
The Welcome Wagon

0.0 (0)
In Cubby Hill, someone new is someone to celebrate!In a...
Once Upon a Crime: Batman Tales

0.0 (0)
Gotham City is filled with stories--of heroes and of villains,...

0.0 (0)
With Joanie Stone's colorful illustrations and Allison Crotzer Kimmel's inspirational...
Cracked Up To Be

0.0 (0)
The high price of perfection is one 'Perfect' Parker Fadley...
Finder, Coal Mine Dog

0.0 (0)
An action-packed and heartwarming story of a dog in the...
Bo the Brave

0.0 (0)
A feisty little girl learns who the real monsters are...
Double Trouble!

0.0 (0)
Mischief is multiplied when twins are around! ...
The Morning Flower (The Omte Origins, #2)

0.0 (0)
New York Times bestselling author Amanda Hocking returns to the...
The Derby Daredevils: Kenzie Kickstarts a Team: (The Derby Daredevils Book #1)

0.0 (0)
Ever since they can remember, fifth-graders Kenzie (aka Kenzilla) and...
Nina Soni, Former Best Friend

0.0 (0)
The first title in a new series featuring a lovable,...
Nina Soni: Sister Fixer

0.0 (0)
The second title in a humorous series featuring a charming,...
The Alchemist's Shadow (Watch Hollow #2)

0.0 (0)
Having defeated the Garr, a vicious tree monster who lived...
The Lost City (The Omte Origins, #1)

0.0 (0)
Amanda Hocking, the New York Times bestselling author of The...
Helen Keller: The World at Her Fingertips

0.0 (0)
When Helen Keller was a baby, she became sick and...
King and Kayla and the Case of the Unhappy Neighbor

0.0 (0)
A lovable dog helps his human girl solve a mystery....

Latest Member Reviews

Coral

"CORAL is not a fairytale retelling of THE LITTLE MERMAID- while it may have been inspired by some of the..."
To Best the Boys

"TO BEST THE BOYS was everything I hoped it would be and more- I loved it! In this alternate world..."
Romanov

"ROMANOV is a wonderful YA historical fiction which weaves magic into the story of the Romanovs. This book completely hooked..."
Fawkes

""Fawkes" is a YA historical fantasy that sounds so interesting! Unfortunately, I could not get into it. In this alternate..."
Reclaiming Shilo Snow

""Reclaiming Shilo Snow" is an even better continuation of "The Evaporation of Sofi Snow" duology. All the story lines are..."
THE EVAPORATION OF SOFI SNOW

""The Evaporation of Sofi Snow" was a wild ride, full of twists and turns. This young adult sci-fi follows Sofi,..."
Unraveling (Book #2 Unblemished Trilogy)

"This book definitely raised the bar on this series for me. I loved (and by loved I mean was shocked..."
THE EVAPORATION OF SOFI SNOW

"Mary Weber’s THE EVAPORATION OF SOFI SNOW follows the titular character as she navigates more challenges than any one teen..."
Unraveling (Book #2 Unblemished Trilogy)

"The plot continues from the first book, Unblemished, so you'll have to read it to understand why the main characters..."
The Silent Songbird

"Romantic Times Book Reviews "Dickerson weaves a compelling tale that takes place long ago in England. Written in the..."
The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest (A Medieval Fairy Tale)

"A sweet coming-of-age historical romance--featuring a dangerously bold heroine and a hero who is bound by duty is to bring..."
The Golden Braid

"A sweet YA/NA crossover romance appealing to all ages, with strong themes of courage and fortitude in the face of..."
Invasion

"I love books that are like this. That hold so much promise for the future of the series and yet..."
Dark Halo (Angel Eyes #3)

JenJen
"What I Liked: Of the three covers, this one is my favorite. This final installment of the Angel Eyes trilogy..."
Storm (Swipe #3)

"I’m a big fan of dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction and it’s even better when I find both in the same..."
Anomaly (Anomaly #1)

"Well, here’s a strange turn of events. I read so much that I rarely have time (or the inclination) to..."
Anomaly (Anomaly #1)

JenJen
"What I Liked: This was a unique take on the Sci-Fi/Dystopian genre because the story blends science with spiritual aspects...."
Right Where I Belong

JenJen
"Once again, Krista McGee has proven that the message of Christ's love can be presented in a way that is..."
Broken Wings (Angel Eyes Trilogy #2)

JenJen
"This is the beautifully written, action packed sequel to ANGEL EYES. Told from multiple POV's, it's a powerful and tangible..."
First Date

"I enjoyed this book, but it can come across at preachy, so don't read it if you aren't interested in..."