Review Detail

5.0 1
Kids Fiction 2619
Heart Wrenching
Overall rating

Plot/Characters/Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Reader reviewed by Krysten Weller

This is one of Lois Lowry's best novels. I love her Anastasia books and it's wonderful to see her range as you read this novel. The story about a little girl staying with her grandparents (along with her mother) while her father's deployed overseas during WWII. She forms an unlikely bond with her grandfather who was once a scary business man, but now weakened by illness. She befriends a young boy related to her grandparents' housekeeper and their friendship is very special to her. However, I'm not sure how to go on without spoiling what is an excellent story. I will say that this is one of those books that will make you cry. It's written beautifully and is extremely heart wrenching.

As an added note, I would highly recommend that after reading the book you explore information on Lois Lowry's (the author)personal background with this story. There are several biographies on her or even check out websites, but it adds to the story when you find out her own personal experience with this story.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account