Review Detail

Kids Fiction 178
charming picture book about a love of family and reading
Overall rating

Plot/Characters/Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

ADVENTURES WITH MY DADDIES is a brightly colored and charming picture book read about family and a love of reading. The book is told in rhyming phrases from the perspective of a young child, who loves to read stories with her fathers. They can battle dragons and hunt treasure, find deadly dinosaurs, and so much more. Ultimately the book is a sweet read about the fun of spending time with family and reading.

What I loved: The illustrations here are really fantastic - so many bright colors, expressive characters, and fun details. They really tell a lot of the story in a vibrant way. The text is simple and rhyming, which can appeal to a large age range. The amount of text on each page is relatively low, which can make the pages turn as quickly as children would like. If transformed into a board book, this would work for infants and up. The themes are simple and sweet, conveying a love of family and of reading. Books can take you on all sorts of adventures and this story captures some of the breadth.

The book also mentions about families looking different with some other examples (having two mommies and having a mom and dad), though there are obviously many other configurations (too many to all be named, such as single parents, grandparents who have custody, etc.). This is great for young children who may not yet realize that other families don't look like their own - and they are all full of love.

Final verdict: Charming, colorful, and sweet, ADVENTURES WITH MY DADDIES is a delightful picture book about a love of reading and the joy of family.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account