Review Detail

Kids Fiction 258
fun book of simple ballet poses shared with sisters
Overall rating

Plot/Characters/Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

STEP BY STEP is a sweet Angelina Ballerina book where Angelina begins to teach her sister ballet. Angelina and Polly are doing ballet together. They begin with stretching and then move into the five poses before trying a grand jete. Although Polly is not very good at them yet, Angelina tells her that ballet is all about practice and that as she continues doing them, she will get better.

What I loved: This is a sweet book about siblings spending time and sharing their passions with each other. It was fun to see the two sisters encouraging and learning. The illustrations are really lovely with the classic Angelina Ballerina style. The book describes all of the poses in great detail, as well as the arm movements, which makes this a great choice for children who want to learn ballet as well.

The book is made with thicker pages that make it more functional for young readers who are advancing from board books but not quite ready for picture books. They are also nice and sturdy, which is great for toddlers.

What left me wanting more: The text is really dense in the book, so the pages turn really slowly. Angelina describes all the poses in a lot of detail, which can be a bit dull for children who are just there for the story (and not wanting to actively practice the poses). I think it would have helped to have the text of the story be shorter and then describe the poses in subtext or backmatter.

Final verdict: Overall, STEP BY STEP is a cute book about early ballet featuring Angelina Ballerina and her sister Polly. With sisterhood and lovely illustrations in addition to a studier design, this book would work well for toddlers.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account