Review Detail

Kids Fiction 141
picture book about the water cycle and climate change
Overall rating

Plot/Characters/Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

BLUE FLOATS AWAY is the intriguing story of an iceberg. Blue lives with his mother and father, when one day he breaks away and floats off into the unknown. Although frightened at first, he soon meets new friends who teach him new things. As time continues, he travels into warmer waters and melts before rising to become a cloud. As he again meets new friends, he continues to travel until he begins to snow and returns to his parents changed.

What I loved: This book gives a personal context to icebergs and lightly global warming, as we follow Blue on his journey. Although it starts out a little sad with Blue getting lost, I appreciated the new friends he meets along the way and the concepts that are mentioned. The story stays brief, only mentioning these things, which makes it great for young readers. This would be great as part of a classroom or home lesson about water cycles and weather. The backmatter includes some additional information about the water cycle and climate change.

The illustrations throughout are really interesting, with cut paper used to create the images. The bright and vivid color choices are perfect for the intended audience. I could definitely see this sparking some fun art projects! The font is clear, large, and easy to read, which also helps with reading it aloud in a classroom setting.

Final verdict: A story of climate change and the water cycle, BLUE FLOATS AWAY is picture book that would be great in the classroom or at home. Recommend for toddlers through early elementary school aged readers.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account