Review Detail

Kids Fiction 285
Those dirty, thieving rats
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Otto and his Granddad are interested in homing pigeons and are training Homer to race. He makes good time returning to his rooftop home when they release him some distance away, and sometimes even beats them back! Homer has learned to read from the newspapers that line his cage, and takes a great interest in the human world. He also talks to Carlos, a park pigeon, and makes the acquaintance of Lulu, a parrot who has moved to the area with her girl, Charlotte. When Homer sees a rat stealing a woman's bracelet, and later sees other crimes committed by cats, he is startled to see the crimes reported in the paper. Like the comic character of whom he is fond, Dick Tracy, Homer wants to solve the mystery. It's not easy to do, but when Granddad's pocket watch, which housed a picture of his beloved wife, is stolen, Homer redoubles his efforts. By watching the park closely, Homer and his friends are able to see the thieves steal things, and manage to follow them to their secret underground lair. Once they find the culprit, though, they must figure out a way to communicate their findings to the children, who must then struggle to be believed. Fortunately, things work out, Addison Park is once again safe, and the children even get written up in the newspaper.
Good Points
I wasn't quite sure when this book was set, since there was a comment about the picture of Granddad's wife being taken "during the war", the inclusion of Dick Tracy comics (which are, apparently, still being published but which flourished in the mid twentieth century), and small mentions of things like pocket watches and fountain pens. This gave the book an air of a classic title, although it seems to be set in the present day. This is a great way to introduce young readers to all manner of artifacts from the last century; I wonder how an eight year old would react to the idea of a fountain pen!

The mystery is one that is easier for the animals to solve, since they are able to observe the world from a different vantage point than humans. It's fun to see how Homer and Lulu try to communicate with their humans through newspaper clippings and the squawking of seemingly random words! The perpetrator something of a shock, and young readers should be warned against climbing into sewers, no matter how important their quest.

Cole's pencil illustrations are the real draw here, and will appeal to fans of Garth Williams' or Brian Selznick's illustrative style. Sadly, there are no mice, like in A Nest for Celeste; I have a soft spot for pictures of mice, and some certainly could have been worked into the park scenes!

This reminded me a bit of Eve Titus' Basil of Baker Street, one of my favorites from my childhood, and joins the ranks of books with animal detectives, such as Hale's Chet Gecko mysteries, Gardner's Horace and Bunwinkle and Quinn's Birdie and Bowser or Queenie and Arthur books.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Fresh

0.0 (0)
A hilarious and vulnerable coming-of-age story about the thrilling new...
Illusionary (Hollow Crown, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this thrilling adventure, our magical heroine embarks on a...
Bluebird

0.0 (0)
In 1946, Eva leaves behind the rubble of Berlin for...
Merci Suárez Can't Dance

0.0 (0)
Seventh grade is going to be a real trial...
When You Know What I Know

0.0 (0)
This harrowing, and ultimately hopeful novel in verse sensitively...
Between Perfect and Real

0.0 (0)
A moving YA debut about a trans boy finding...
The Cost of Knowing

0.0 (0)
Dear Martin meets They Both Die at the End...
Gold Spun

0.0 (0)
If Nor can't spin gold, she can always spin...

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Dayna Walsh is struggling to cope with her somatic...
Small Favors

0.0 (0)
Ellerie Downing is waiting for something to happen. Life...
If You Go Down to the Woods Today (Brown Bear Wood)

0.0 (0)
Journey through a magical woodland, with poems to read and...
Bunny Will Not Jump!: Ready-to-Read Level 1

0.0 (0)
From the endless imagination of Jason Tharp comes a hilarious...

Latest Member Reviews

Realm Breaker

"It took me nearly a full month of reading, but I finally finished Realm Breaker, the first book in a..."
Hollow Pike

"ISBN: 9781444004816 Publisher: Orion Pages: 416 Something wicked this way comes... She thought she'd be safe in the country,..."
Soul Fire

"ISBN: 9781780620237 Publisher: Orion Pages: 400 It’s getting hotter on the beach . . . Alice Forster regularly..."
Soul Beach

"ISBN: 9781780620060 Publisher: Orion Pages: 256 People are dying to get here . . . When Alice Forster..."
Outcast (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness #4)

"Outcast is a thrilling story of survival, friendship and the need to belong. In this book Torak has hidden the..."
Spirit Walker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness #2)

"Torak has joined the Raven clan when suddenly a terrible sickness spreads around the clans. Torak believes he must save..."
Heaven can wait

"Reader reviewed by Emma C Heaven Can Wait is a light-hearted funny story of a young woman called Lucy who, at..."
Heaven can wait

"Reader reviewed by Emma C Heaven Can Wait is a light-hearted funny story of a young woman called Lucy who, at..."

"Reader reviewed by Abbie I, Coriander was a gripping and exciting story of a girl belonging to two different worlds...."

"Reader reviewed by Kristen ..."

"Reader reviewed by Kristen ..."
Spirit Walker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness #2)

"Reader reviewed by EshInoBi Torak is at home with Raven Clan, where he met Renn. Wolf stayed at the mountain...."
Outcast (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness #4)

"Reader reviewed by EshInoBi This is by far my favourite books in this series. Torak is torn from Raven Clan..."

"Reader reviewed by Mairi Coriander's family is an oddity- always a little different, always on the outskirts of society. Even..."

"Sasha Fox has been different all her life, although her family pretends she's normal. But when World War I..."

"In My Swordhand is Singing, Marcus Sedgwick tells a sinister tale of a woodcutter and his son who fight the..."

""I had always believed that there was only one world, the world I had been born into. Now I..."