Review Detail

Kids Fiction 146
Kind, Relatable Morals
(Updated: March 05, 2021)
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

‘The Story Blanket’ by Ferida Wolff and Harriet May Savitz, illustrated by Elena Odriozola, is the story of Babba Zarrah, who tells stories to children who come to visit her. They love to sit on her story blanket to hear the tales.

Babba Zarrah, the kind woman that she is, notices one day that there is a child who needs new socks, yet she has no yarn to make some. She comes to the moral of the story, in that every question has an answer, and she just has to find it. Her solution is to take some of the yarn from her story blanket on which they sit for her storytelling, and knit him the socks he so needs. As time goes on, more of the villagers receive gifts meant to keep them warm, and all the while, the story blanket continues to get smaller until the children are no longer able to sit on it since there isn’t enough of it.

The story’s moral is two-fold, in that it also captures the importance of seeing how someone is helping, and finding ways to return the favor. The villagers don’t want to let Babba Zarrah’s secret kindnesses go unnoticed.

The engaging illustrations and kind, relatable morals make this story a purposeful, enduring book to read aloud, just as Babba Zarrah shares her stories with all who care to listen.
Good Points
The engaging illustrations and kind, relatable morals make this story a purposeful, enduring book to read aloud, just as Babba Zarrah shares her stories with all who care to listen.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Last Fallen Star (Gifted Clans, #1)

0.0 (0)
Riley Oh can't wait to see her sister get initiated...
Take Me Home: Forests of the World

5.0 (1)
Bite-sized facts about forests from around the globe, pointing out...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to the...
All Kinds of Other

0.0 (0)
In this tender, nuanced coming-of-age love story, two boys—one who...
Reign of Secrets

0.0 (0)
At the Midnight Ball, leave your inhibitions at the...
The Forest of Stolen Girls

0.0 (0)
1426, Joseon (Korea). Hwani's family has never been the...
Go the Distance

4.5 (2)

0.0 (0)
What if Meg had to become a god? After...
In Deeper Waters

0.0 (0)
A young prince must rely on a mysterious stranger...
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

0.0 (0)
When twin heirs are born in Tourin, their fates...
Take Me Home: Waters of the World

0.0 (0)
Bite-sized facts about bodies of water from around the globe,...
This Is My America

0.0 (0)
The Hate U Give meets Just Mercy in this unflinching...
Colors in Nature

0.0 (0)
Magnificent, hand-painted illustrations by a rising star of Czech watercolor...
Welcome to Arizona

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Arizona! We're glad you're here! Introducing a new...
I Don't Want to Go to School

0.0 (0)
It's Mouse's first day of school. It's Dinosaur's first day...
Somewhere Between Bitter and Sweet

0.0 (0)
I'm Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter meets Emergency Contact...
Counting Down with You

0.0 (0)
In this sparkling and romantic YA debut, a reserved Bangladeshi...

Latest Member Reviews

Devils Unto Dust

"I just want to shake the authors hand. I use to read books all the time but It takes so..."
Zombie Abbey

""Zombie Abbey" is Downton Abbey with zombies (and characters names changed). Although it's been a while since I watched Downton..."
Zombie Queen of Newbury High

"This book was probably the best book I have ever read. I loved the end so much I wished there..."
Devils Unto Dust

"In this alternative history the time after the Civil War has caused not only bad times to come to Daisy..."
Zombie Abbey

"It's been a long time since I had read a zombie novel and even more, one as entertaining as Zombie..."
Through the Zombie Glass (White Rabbit Chronicles #2)

"This was better than the first installment. But sometimes Cole still bothered me a little. He broke up with her..."
H2O (The Rain #1)

"I think I want to lay off Apocalypse stories for a little while. (But I'm not going to, because they..."
Zombies Y'all!

"Fun read. Recommend for youngsters who like zombies, but maybe don't want all the blood, guts and graphic gore of..."
Strange and Ever After (Something Strange and Deadly #3)

"I finally got around to finishing this series and I read it straight through, for the most part. It did..."
My Zombie Ex-Boyfriends

"Fun. In a word, this story is just plain fun. The premise is wacky in all the right ways, and..."
Strange and Ever After (Something Strange and Deadly #3)

"What I loved: THIS is how you end a trilogy, my friends. Like a freaking BAMF. Seriously, I had my..."
Dead City (Dead City #1)

""Normal kids have enough to deal with," but now that Molly was recruited into Omega, New York's elite zombie-killing academy,..."
Eat, Brains, Love (Eat, Brains, Love #1)

"Video games, zombie morphing and secret government agencies out to do you in. If it sounds like a weird B-movie,..."
Eat, Brains, Love (Eat, Brains, Love #1)

"What I Loved: This story is fantastically entertaining, and is a nice, quick read. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend..."
Through the Zombie Glass (White Rabbit Chronicles #2)

"What I Loved: Ms. Showalter's follow up to last year's ALICE IN ZOMBIELAND is a smashing success. As with..."
Horde (Razorland #3)

"I’m really nervous about final books of series as they can either finish the series perfectly or destroy the whole..."
Horde (Razorland #3)

"What I Liked: When I finished reading Enclave, I sat it aside, waiting to see how the rest of the..."
Monsters (The Ashes Trilogy #3)

"Ashes, Shadows and Monsters – this trilogy has been a roller coaster ride of emotions for me. I have never..."
Unfed (Undead #2)

"Unfed is the wild sequel to the great horror-comedy novel Undead by Kristy McKay. If you haven't had the chance..."
Every Other Day

"I came into Every Other Day expecting an angsty teen paranormal with dramatic love scenes and gloomy prose. Instead, I..."