Review Detail

Wild River Featured
Kids Fiction 1027
A Wild Ride!
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
Daniel isn't all that sure why he was chosen to go on an outdoor experience trip with four other students from the brand new middle school he will be attending, but he's glad to get a break from his responsibilities at home. Project Future Leaders also includes Mia; a quiet and studious girl, Imani; who says very little in order to keep her identity a secret, Deke; a monumental jerk; and Tony, a boy who just follows along with Deke's behavior. Their leaders are Sky, who runs white water rafting trips in Montana, and Cindi Beacon, a famous soccer player. Early on, they run into snags. The river they were originally going to travel was too shallow, so they head 100 miles over to the Crazy, and the satellite phone the leaders have isn't working. They start off in rafts, and it's an interesting trip for children from New Hampshire. Of course, things don't go smoothly for long, and when a local dam breaks, things become truly treacherous. Sky and Cindi are both swept away in the waters after getting the students to safely, and leaving them with a back pack of supplies. From the beginning, Deke is a self serving jerk who doesn't want to follow Mia's plan to conserve food, since he is sure they will be saved soon. This ends in one tragedy, and Imani, Mia and Daniel have to use their strategies not only to confront mountain lions, bears, torrential rains, and a lack of supplies, but also to keep Deke from being a danger to himself and others. When they find Cindi badly injured, Deke does step up to carry her, but will the group be able to locate help in time?
Good Points
Survival books are always popular, and there weren't many new ones for a while, so I'm glad to see the resurgence of this genre. Philbrick himself has the great The Big Dark (2016) and Wildfire (2019), which were both excellent. While there are some philosophical moments in this (Daniel and Imani are both dealing with some issues; Daniel's involve his father, who has bipolar disorder), this cuts right to the chase. It also offers teasers about the horrible things that will happen, which work very well for the target demographic. The Montana landscape is well described, and the children work together well to try to survive. The exception is, of course, the horrid Deke, who learns his lesson in the hardest way possible. The cover of this is fantastic, and I can see this being a wildly popular title.

This was similar to Lambert's Distress Signal in that the adults made some bad moves. There were two deaths in this, if you have very sensitive readers.

While there aren't as many details about rafting as I had hoped, this was an excellent survival adventure with lots of details about survival tactics, some stupendous interpersonal drama, and children saving the day. This is a great choice for readers who like Henry's Playing with Fire, Behrens' Alone in the Woods and Disaster Days, Teagan's Survivor Girl, and Johnson's Ice Dogs.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
A shocking thriller about a group of friends who go...
Bird Boy

0.0 (0)
Take flight in this heartwarming story about a boy who...
Love You By Heart

0.0 (0)
Acclaimed creator of The Word Collector, Happy Dreamer, Say Something,...
Fa-La-La Llama (Touch-and-Feel Board Book)

0.0 (0)
Get ready to deck the halls with these joyful, singing,...
Our Way Back to Always

0.0 (0)
To All the Boys I've Loved Before meets Morgan Matson...
The Last Gate of the Emperor

0.0 (0)
From Kwame Mbalia and Prince Joel David Makonnen comes an...
Traitors Among Us

0.0 (0)
World War II may be over. But two sisters are...
The Devil Makes Three

0.0 (0)
When Tess and Eliot stumble upon an ancient book hidden...
African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

0.0 (0)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Liar's Room

0.0 (0)
This spooky stand-alone from MG horror expert Dan Poblocki is...
Manu: A Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
Set at a magical school for girls, a funny and...
Barakah Beats

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Nimra Sharif has spent her whole life in Islamic...

Latest Member Reviews

Dark Stars

"DARK STARS by Danielle Rollins is the third book in her series of the same name. It begins with Dorothy..."
Hot British Boyfriend

"Ellie lives in Washington D.C. and attends an elite school, even though the tuition is a stretch for her single..."
Hot British Boyfriend

"When Ellie is completely humiliated by her best friend an crush, she decides the best way to escape her jeering..."
Loveboat, Taipei

"WHAT I LOVED: Ever’s pushy parents have already gotten their way by making her apply to medical school, but..."
13 Little Blue Envelopes

"Ginny's artistic, beloved aunt Peg moved away from the US suddenly, and passed away unexpectedly. When Ginny receives a packet..."
Blood & Honey

"This is going to be a hard review to write because I have so many words that want to come..."
Don't Call the Wolf

"Ren is the queen of the forest, a lynx shifter, and the protector of the forest's creatures. When a dragon..."
Moment of Truth

"Hadley Moore is a dedicated high school swimmer who is hoping to get a college scholarship for the sport, so..."
The Paper Girl of Paris

"THE PAPER GIRL OF PARIS by Jordyn Taylor is a new young adult novel that is both a contemporary and..."
The Betrothed

"THE BETROTHED is a YA romance that follows Hollis, a young woman who has her eyes on the crown. Although..."
The New David Espinoza

"David is the skinniest kid at high Florida high school, and he's taken his share of bullying about it. On..."
The Paper Girl of Paris

"The Paper Girl of Paris is written by journalist Jordyn Taylor and is set in both historical 1940’s and nowadays..."
The Betrothed

"The Betrothed is a brand new YA-novel set in the 15th century by Kiera Cass, whom we all know from..."
Fan the Fame

"WHAT I LOVED: Excuse me, who gave Anna Priemaza permission to bug my house and use my brother and I..."

"Four very different high school girls plan to spend one month together in GIRLS OF JULY, and they each have..."
The Beholder

"When Selah's proposal to her childhood crush is rejected, she is sent away on a boat to meet possible suitors...."
On the Fence

"I'm a sucker for YA and Friends to Lovers romance, and Kasie West is one of my favorite YA author..."
On the Fence

"I've read this book twice now, and I can't stop thinking about it. I feel madly in love with Charlie,..."
Fame, Fate, and the First Kiss

"When Lacey scores a leading role in a zombie movie, she wants to give it her all. However, she struggles..."
Stolen Time

"STOLEN TIME by Danielle Rollins is the first book of a YA time travel trilogy. It begins when Ash, a..."