Review Detail

Kids Fiction 442
self-acceptance, body image, and the environment
Overall rating

Plot/Characters/Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

BENJAMIN'S BLUE FEET is a picture book that deals with body image and insecurity. Benjamin is a blue-footed booby and loves to hunt for treasures on the beach. One day, he finds a shiny "twink-um-doodle" (mirror), and he is surprised to see himself. As he looks in the mirror, he notices how different his body is from the other animals, such as his beak being long and narrow compared to the warbler's short beak.

He uses his other treasures to transform his body, but when he goes for a swim to catch fish, he finds that his feet are perfect for swimming and his beak is perfect for catching fish. The book ends with him accepting himself as he is.

What I loved: This is a simple but important message about body image and self-acceptance. Benjamin is an easily likable character that will appeal to young children. The amount of text on each pages is great for a wide range of ages, and I appreciated the word art with key blue-colored words. There is also some back matter about pollution in the oceans, as Benjamin's treasures are actually trash that has washed ashore that can add to the discussion sparked by the book. I also really enjoyed the front matter with the animals of the Galapagos featured.

Final verdict: BENJAMIN'S BLUE FEET is a cute read with some great themes. This book would be great to begin some discussions about body image, self-acceptance, and environmentalism.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account