Review Detail

fun way to introduce scientific facts about plants
Overall rating

Plot/Characters/Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

ROSA'S BIG SUNFLOWER EXPERIMENT is a cute picture book that brings science and plant facts to young children. Rosa and her friends are conducting some experiments to learn more about sunflowers. They place soil in pots with seeds and then water them so that they can start to grow. They'll need to give them sunlight so they can make their own food, and sure enough the plant that was in the dark did not grow. They also look at the roots and talk about the length of time it takes them to grow.

What I loved: This is a fun way to bring simple scientific concepts to young readers. The text uses simple words and explains bigger words like germination. I love not only the way everything is explained for children but also the diversity of Rosa and her friends. Children can find plants all around, and this is a fantastic way to introduce simple concepts to them about how plants grow. The length of the book is great, and I love how large the font is, making it clear and easy to read. The pages are nice and thick, also making them a bit sturdier than other picture books and great for toddlers who may be a little rough on books.

What left me wanting more: As a small point, it is not really clear what their experiment was or what hypothesis they were testing. However, for toddlers/preschoolers, the text as written will be more story-like and easier to understand.

Final verdict: Overall, ROSA'S BIG SUNFLOWER EXPERIMENT is a cute way to introduce scientific concepts to young readers. Be prepared to want to conduct your own experiment with plants after reading this fun book!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account