Review Detail

Kids Fiction 330
Hits a bit close to home!
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A
It's 2096, Cleo Porter and her parents never leave their apartment. It has no doors, no windows, and only a port where deliveries come into the apartment. This is because of a horrible flu that devastated the world in 2027, Influenza D. It mutated with each new case, so a cure couldn't be found. The world locked down, and huge monolithic apartment complexes took over. Cleo attends online school with a virtual teacher, Mrs. VAIN (Virtual Adaptive Instructional Network) and is working on a strenuous program to become a doctor like her mother. Her mother, a surgeon, performs surgery by manipulating drones, and her father constructs code for virtual environments. One day, when Cleo is deep in her studies, there is a package delivered to the apartment. It's got the right address, but the name is wrong; there's no Miriam Wendemore-Adisa. Since the delivery drones never make mistakes, Cleo doesn't have much luck contacting customer support or finding out much about the intended recipient, and she worries that the medicine that she discerns in the package is desperately needed. Her parents and her best friend are no help, so when she finally locates the woman's address, she makes a shocking choice: she will leave the apartment and deliver the medicine herself. Managing to get out of the delivery chute with a pillowcase full of supplies, she finds herself in the labyrinthine hallways of her building, battling observation and cleaning drones. She manages to make her way outside, but the world is quite a shocking place if you've never been there before. Luckily, she meets a 102 year old woman, Angie, who refused to be locked inside and scrapes together an existence with the help of Paige, a child she found outside a building where the systems had shut down. Paige gets food from the nearby fields and manages to avoid the drones that harvest it. Cleo is fascinated by the fact that the world is so huge, that Paige has scratches and sunburn from being outside, and by the fact that Angie would rather live outside than be inside getting help for her age related ailments. She is also determined to get back in order to deliver the package. Angie and Paige help her get back to the building, but it is a struggle to actually get back inside. Even if she does, will she be able to find the woman in time, and be able to return to her parents?
Good Points
Given our current situation (I read this on 6/23/20; Burt addresses the pandemic in an end note), this creeped me out big time. The parents even talk about how they met virtually, then got permission to get married and were delivered to their new apartment in a pod. Ahhhhhhgh! I'm with Angie on this one; I need a lot of outside time. Mrs. VAIN was a fantastic teacher, with her massive databases and elderly librarian persona (she wears a lavender cardigan), and the beginning of the book talks a lot about Cleo's medical education. This ties in nicely with the end of the book, which I don't want to spoil. There was a nice bit with her and her best friend hanging out at a virtual park, plenty of adventure both in and out of the building, and a lot of interesting philosophical ramifications to how a pandemic should be treated. Interesting, interesting book, and perfect timing!

This is a great dystopian novel for tween readers, and would be great paired with Perry's Scavengers, about people living outside of a protective bubble around a cit. This did remind me of a book I read years ago but can't locate-- there was a plague of some kind and children were no longer allowed out to go to school, and there were high stakes on line testing. Burt is to be commended for his prescience in writing this book-- he had to have come up with the idea long before the pandemic! I love that Burt writes stand alone titles on disparate themes.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Jackaby

0.0 (0)
Newly arrived in New Fiddleham, New England, 1892, and in...
Gutter Girl (Twin River High, #1)

0.0 (0)
Star football player Jace Rovers has a secret. And not...
The Last Fallen Star (Gifted Clans, #1)

0.0 (0)
Riley Oh can't wait to see her sister get initiated...
Take Me Home: Forests of the World

5.0 (1)
Bite-sized facts about forests from around the globe, pointing out...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to the...
All Kinds of Other

0.0 (0)
In this tender, nuanced coming-of-age love story, two boys—one who...
Reign of Secrets

0.0 (0)
At the Midnight Ball, leave your inhibitions at the...
The Forest of Stolen Girls

0.0 (0)
1426, Joseon (Korea). Hwani's family has never been the...
Go the Distance

4.5 (2)

0.0 (0)
What if Meg had to become a god? After...
In Deeper Waters

0.0 (0)
A young prince must rely on a mysterious stranger...
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

0.0 (0)
When twin heirs are born in Tourin, their fates...
Take Me Home: Waters of the World

0.0 (0)
Bite-sized facts about bodies of water from around the globe,...
This Is My America

0.0 (0)
The Hate U Give meets Just Mercy in this unflinching...
Colors in Nature

0.0 (0)
Magnificent, hand-painted illustrations by a rising star of Czech watercolor...
Welcome to Arizona

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Arizona! We're glad you're here! Introducing a new...
I Don't Want to Go to School

0.0 (0)
It's Mouse's first day of school. It's Dinosaur's first day...

Latest Member Reviews

Now That Night is Near

"NOW THAT NIGHT IS NEAR is a lovely poem in a picture book about going to sleep. A cat travels..."
shine your icy crown

"shine your icy crown by amanda lovelace is a 129-page collection of contemporary poems. It’s the second book in the..."
Kindness Grows

"KINDNESS GROWS is a picture book that visually shows the power of kindness - and the trouble with being unkind...."
The Black Flamingo

"THE BLACK FLAMINGO is a beautifully composed and poignant book of poetry. The poetry chronicles the life of Michael, who..."
Morning, Sunshine!

"MORNING, SUNSHINE! is an informative journey through nature and poetry. Each spread features a haiku on the left page and..."
Poems to Live Your Life By

"POEMS TO LIVE YOUR LIFE BY is a collection in which each poem has been hand-picked by Chris Riddell, for..."
break your glass slippers

"break your glass slippers is the first book in the poetry series, “you are your own fairy tale,” by award-winning..."
When the World Didn’t End: Poems

"Caroline Kaufman, otherwise known as @poeticpoison, has published her latest poems in WHEN THE WORLD DIDN’T END. The collection, which..."
When You Ask Me Where I'm Going

"WHEN YOU ASK ME WHERE I'M GOING is an absolutely gorgeous collection that reaches to touch the soul. In poems,..."
Imagine

"IMAGINE is a gorgeous autobiographical poem with accompanying artwork and an inspirational tone. Herrera was the U.S Poet Laureate and..."
The Scarecrow

"Elegant and insightful, THE SCARECROW follows a lonely scarecrow through the seasons- no one dares to approach him. That is,..."
O Captain, My Captain: Walt Whitman, Abraham Lincoln, and the Civil War

"O CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN teaches us more about Walt Whitman's life and his time spent during the Civil War. To..."
Watch Us Rise

"WHAT I LOVED: Readers get a dual POV novel narrated by Jasmine, a fat Black girl, and Chelsea, a..."
The Day the Universe Exploded My Head: Poems to Take You into Space and Back Again

"THE DAY THE UNIVERSE EXPLODED MY HEAD features cartoony planets and drawings along with poems on each page. Topical, clever,..."
Superlative Birds

"SUPERLATIVE BIRDS is an interesting read. Each spread features an illustrated bird with a superlative, such as “smelliest” or “longest..."
What is Poetry? The Essential Guide to Reading and Writing Poems

"WHAT IS POETRY: THE ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO READING AND WRITING POEMS by Michael Rosen is a nonfiction, how-to book intended..."
Twinkle, Twinkle, Dinosaur

"This board book is an absolutely adorable and delightful twist on the classic song, “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star!” Dinosaur stomps..."
How Do I Love Thee?

"HOW DO I LOVE THEE? features a beautiful poem and lovely illustrations in a celebration of love between friends and..."
How Do I Love Thee?

"HOW DO I LOVE THEE is a beautifully illustrated children's book that is based on Elizabeth Barrett Browning's "Sonnet 43"...."
Poetry 101

"POETRY 101 by Susan Dalzell is a comprehensive introduction to poetry written in the English language. The book takes us..."