Review Detail

Little Red Featured
Kids Fiction 237
scary fairytale with simple text and illustrations
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

LITTLE RED is a simple telling of the Little Red Riding Hood tale with accompanying red, white, and black illustrations. Little Red is heading to her grandmother's house, when she encounters a wolf. The wolf may have scared other children, but not Little Red. The wolf's plan is hatched, and he eats her grandmother before putting on her grandmother's clothes and laying in bed. What follows is the original fairytale with a twist- Little Red does not need a huntsman to save her.

What I loved: The text is minimal, which goes along with the minimalistic illustrations well. The pages turn quickly, which will appeal to early readers. The fairytale is conveyed well here, and I love that Little Red is the one who saves herself- a tale with some girl power in it.

What left me wanting more: This book is a bit scary and should not be read to sensitive children. The wolf is shown eating the grandmother, and he is definitely a scary presence throughout. Little Red is also shown wearing the wolf's pelt at the end, which may also be challenging for sensitive animal lovers. This is definitely a dark story, and it would be better for children who enjoy a touch of the dark in their fairytales.

Final verdict: LITTLE RED is a simple recounting of the fairytale with a touch of horror/scary that is great for less sensitive readers before Halloween.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Take Me Home: Waters of the World

0.0 (0)
Bite-sized facts about bodies of water from around the globe,...
This Is My America

0.0 (0)
The Hate U Give meets Just Mercy in this unflinching...
Colors in Nature

0.0 (0)
Magnificent, hand-painted illustrations by a rising star of Czech watercolor...
Welcome to Arizona

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Arizona! We're glad you're here! Introducing a new...
I Don't Want to Go to School

0.0 (0)
It's Mouse's first day of school. It's Dinosaur's first day...
Counting Down with You

0.0 (0)
In this sparkling and romantic YA debut, a reserved Bangladeshi...
There's No Ham in Hamburgers: Facts and Folklore About Our Favorite Foods

0.0 (0)
From hot dogs and hamburgers to ice cream and pizza,...
The Light of Days Young Readers’ Edition: The Untold Story of Women Resistance Fighters in Hitler's Ghettos

0.0 (0)
As their communities were being destroyed, groups of Jewish women...
In Deeper Waters

0.0 (0)
A young prince must rely on a mysterious stranger to...
Paint by Sticker Kids: Outer Space

0.0 (0)
Blast off into outer space with this mess-free sticker craft!...
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

0.0 (0)
When twin heirs are born in Tourin, their fates are...
The Mother of Monsters

0.0 (0)
Mischievous Ntombi is not at all afraid of the fearsome...
Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail: A Story from Chile

0.0 (0)
Brave young Pedro faces monsters and greedy guards when he...
What Beauty There Is

0.0 (0)
What Beauty There Is is Cory Anderson's stunning YA...
Baseball Baby

0.0 (0)
This original board book series, which begins with America's favorite...
I Am Not a Penguin

0.0 (0)
This hilarious story of a pangolin with an identity crisis...

Latest Member Reviews

Sex Kittens and Horn Dawgs Fall in Love

N/A
"[b]AMOXIL[/b] is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria, such as ear infections, bladder infections, pneumonia,..."
Bud, Not Buddy

"Bud not Buddy is awesome! im in year 9 and im reading it in school for an assignment. On the..."
Before I Fall

"Love this book! One of my favorites."
Speak

"It's a fast read."

""Pretties" is a continuation of the Uglies series where Tally Youngblood has now returned to the city and become a..."
The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles #1)

""The Adoration of Jenna Fox" is the story of a teenager who wakes up from a coma without any memories..."
Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack #1)

"This first-person present-tense piece of historical YA fiction begins a bit like a Charles Dicken’s work—eighteenth-century London, poor destitute orphan,..."
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1)

"This one took a while to get into. I didn't warm much to Grace. She didn't seem to have much..."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Definitely the reason why I decided to reread this was because of the show. and now that I finished reading..."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Thirteen Reasons Why (stylised as Th1rteen R3eason Why) follows shy high school teenager Clay Jensen. Clay has received a..."
Tiger Eyes

"4.5 Stars A great and emotional read. A young teenage girl; Davey struggles with the loss of her father..."
The Lonely Hearts Club

" 4.5 Stars! This was a fun and sweet read. Definitely for fans of contemporary ya books. Penny Lane..."
The Lonely Hearts Club

"4.5 Stars! This was a fun and sweet read. Definitely for fans of contemporary ya books. Penny Lane is..."
Angus, Thongs & Full Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson #1)

DA Dragon Authors
"I (Erin) bought this one as a “blind date” from Malaprops. They wrap books in brown paper and write things..."

"The Deathday Letter by Shaun David Hutchinson is a young adult standalone novel. This is not the first book by..."

"Nick O’Leary, the straight bass player in queercore punk band, is playing at a club in downtown Manhattan when he..."

"This is not one of my favorite books, it's a bit too sad for me. I will say that this..."
Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush #1)

"When I first read this book in 2010 I hated it. I thought it was overrated and boring. It also..."
The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires #2)

"This installment starts right where Glass Houses ended, which is great because now we have no time lapse to try..."
Angus, Thongs & Full Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson #1)

"I love this series more than life itself. Georgia is hilarious and someone we can all relate to. Non-stop..."